Bitlocker url giving me a trace ID error.

Anonymous
2023-11-23T05:08:44+00:00

Hello, I'm having a problem with accessing my bitlocker recovery keys. Every time I go to manage my recovery key I get an error. I've tried doing it on multiple devices and networks. I don't know why this is happening. This is the message I receive " TraceID: 1THwknOTREqs3QGM.21.67 Something happened. Wait a bit, then try again. If this issue persists, contact us. "

Yes, I have waited and tried again. The only thing that changes is the traceID code. Please help me with this matter so I can use my laptop soon.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

35 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-06T22:56:23+00:00

    The issue still persist to this day

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-05T21:30:00+00:00

    Had the same issue on my daughters laptop. Found 3 suggestions online:

    1. Try logging into your microsoft account in a private browser and accessing the bit locker page there (this option explained in more detail above). Not aware if this worked for anyone.
    2. Check if your one drive has exceeded capacity - if it has, your account is apparently blocked. Cleaning up space on one drive solved it for some.
    3. The problem for me was I was not using the correct microsoft account. If you sign in and go to devices, the said devide should show up there. If you click on the details of that device you will get you bit locker key. When I entered with another account from my daughter, I could not find any key (because the laptop was not set up on that account). So I thought maybe it was set up on my account and I got the ice cream and trace error trying to access bit locker key (because obviously there was no key associated either). Finally on family safety managed to discover the account that the laptop was set up on (an email that we don't use at all, just used to set up the laptop) and worked smoothly straight away.

    Super frustrating. Hours lost. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T19:35:33+00:00

    I also went into my onedrive to unfreeze the account. After a few hours the account was back to normal and I could access my bitlocker keys. This method should not exist. You bitlocker keys should not be tied to anything. The fact that you either delete your files to make room or buy more space to unfreeze your account, feels like extortion. It is very unprofessional and with Microsoft being as big as they are makes it even worse. Puts the company in a very bad light. I will be turning off the bitlocker key and Uninstall onedrive so I never have to deal with this issue again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T07:30:42+00:00

    Wow, I can't believe this actually worked. It took almost 12 hours for my OneDrive to unlock (I didn't even know this was a thing.), but once it did, I finally was able to get access to my bitlocker account.

    If I was cynical, I would say this kind of oversight was downright malicious. But judging from how support was of absolutely zero help, it seems like there was some serious incompetence on Microsoft's end.

    I've learned my lesson to always back up my keys or even disable the encryption as clearly MS cannot be trusted to handle it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-01T20:17:28+00:00

    Had the same problem, found my solution on another microsoft support thread.

    I can't say for sure if this solution will help, but this sure helped me when nothing else worked:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-key/e14fa858-29ef-4a1b-bce5-39ad248de27f

    If the link doesn't work, I had to clear up my OneDrive folder (which was full) before the recovery key page would show correctly for me. I think getting extra space would also work but I'm not sure, I just cleared out my OneDrive folder entirely and it worked for me. (also sorry if you're rereading this from another thread just copying-pasting to spread the word)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments