New teams showing unread chats when there aren't any

Anonymous
2024-11-15T17:13:23+00:00

I just switched to the new teams that combines chat messages and teams messages. The bubble is displaying a count of unread messages, but when I filter to only show the unread messages nothing is displayed and it says I'm all caught up. Scrolling also doesn't reveal any unread messages.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

26 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-17T07:15:01+00:00

    I had the same issue, but also saw some notifications in the web version.

    Turns out that in the mixed view, there are five buttons, not just four.

    The notifications I had were all in Meeting Chats, which were turned off. Turned them on, found and read the messages -> no more "unread messages" notification.

    Was this answer helpful?

    300+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T20:01:09+00:00

    Dear Sarah,

    Thank you for your reply,

    To separate Chats and Channels kindly follow below steps to see if it will make any difference:

    • Kindly Open your Microsoft teams--> go To settings and more or three dots(...)--> Settings
    • Navigate to Chats and channels -->Then choose or make sure that Separate option is turned on to see if it will make any difference

    May I know if you get same behavior after clearing Teams cache? Kindly follow the steps for new teams Clear Teams cache - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

    Looking forward to your response!

    Best regards,

    Inema

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T08:47:23+00:00

    I have tried all the reset/delete files processes and as I've had Teams for a while, for both versions! Still seeing a phantom 3 messages in the Teams icon! This is frustrating because now the taskbar item is useless to me as it doesn't accurately tell me when there is a message that I might need to go and look at.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-26T13:46:05+00:00

    I have the same issue and cannot solve it by switching the view between combined/separate as described. The notification in the sidebar is still visible. When I filter for unread messages, it shows none but still notifies me :D

    Clearing the cache solves the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T19:50:07+00:00
    1. No, there's nothing in activity and I don't have any badges for the Activity icon.
    2. No, I'm not seeing this on the web version. The web version I launched still has the "chat" and "teams" as separate side navigation items. My desktop version has both "chat" and "teams" under the one "chat" page.
    3. Yes, it's the updated version.
    4. Windows device.
    5. Screenshot sent

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments