Error when trying to make another email address as primary

Anonymous
2026-10-07T17:40:06.36+00:00

Hello,

I've changed my email address from [PII removed]@yahoo.com to [PII removed]@artmedia.ro

I wanted to update the email address to my Microsoft account, first I've added the new address, and when I wanted to make it primary, an error message displayed. I tried again and I got a message to try next week. I've waited a week to pass and tried again. Got the same stupid message when I wanted to make my new email address as primary, and the same stupid response to wait another week.

This is really frustrating. I tried to chat with a member from Microsoft support, but the robot did not help. Now I am writting this to y'all, maybe you can help. This is a minor thing, changing an email address and I cannot do the change from whitin the app or PC. I will no longer have access to my old address, soon.

Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Kai-H 28,235 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T10:27:03.2833333+00:00

    (Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.)

    Hi, ALEXANDRU PETRIȚĂ

    I understand the frustration, especially with your Yahoo address becoming unavailable soon. The good news is that your new alias does not have to be primary for you to use it to sign in.

    Here are some suggestions you can try:

    First, test signing in with your @artmedia.ro address and your existing Microsoft account password in a private browser window. Keep your current session open while testing. Aliases share the same password, subscriptions, and account data.

    Next, protect your access independently of the primary-address change. Open your account’s Security page, select Manage how I sign in, then Add a new way to sign in or verify. Choose Use an app and follow the prompts to set up Microsoft Authenticator. This gives you a verification option that does not depend on your Yahoo mailbox.

    These steps won’t clear the primary-alias error, but they address the immediate access concern.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-07T17:40:23.0766667+00:00

    The behavior matches the Microsoft account primary-alias change limit.

    What is supported:

    1. Go to account.microsoft.com or the Microsoft account site.
    2. Open Your info.
    3. Select Manage how you sign in to Microsoft.
    4. Confirm that the new address is listed under Account aliases.
    5. Select Make primary next to the new alias.

    Important limits and rules:

    • If the system shows “We’re limiting the number of times you can change your primary alias. Please try again next week.”, the restriction may remain longer than 7 days depending on recent account activity or changes.
    • If it still does not clear after additional time, one reported workaround is to remove and re-add the alias, then try setting it as primary again.
    • An alias cannot be added if that email address is already associated with another Microsoft account.
    • Personal Microsoft accounts and work or school accounts cannot be merged.

    If the issue is caused by the new primary alias matching an existing work or school account, Microsoft Support documents these options:

    • Add another alias and make that one primary.
    • If the conflicting address is a work email currently attached to the personal Microsoft account, set a personal address as primary and remove the work email alias.

    If the old address will soon be unavailable, make sure another working alias is already added and verified before removing anything.

    If self-service still fails, use the Outlook.com support path or the Outlook.com Community.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.