Word does not save to my desktop

Noeline van den Berg 0 Reputation points
2026-09-25T23:19:15.1533333+00:00

Once I have a saved Word document, and I make a change, hit command s it looks like it saves and when i close it asks again if i want to save, never saving. Word will ot save anywhere on my mac desktop.

I am using docs that I hae had for years and now it won't save after I make changes

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

14 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,730 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-25T23:56:51.4566667+00:00

    Sorry to hear about this. Could you please confirm whether this happens with every Word document or only with older existing files? Also, are you able to create a new blank Word document and save it successfully to a local folder such as Documents or Downloads, rather than the Desktop?

    Please also confirm which version of Word for Mac you are using by going to Word > About Microsoft Word, and whether Word shows any activation or sign-in warning under your Microsoft 365 account. If you receive any error when using File > Save As, please share the exact message or a screenshot with any personal information hidden.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Noeline van den Berg 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T01:51:41.6866667+00:00

    I went back into full disk space and excel and outlook disappeared, do I add them back in?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Noeline van den Berg 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T01:49:23.94+00:00

    It is still giving me the same error

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Noeline van den Berg 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T01:30:58.61+00:00

    In files and folders there is no Word or Powerpoint, only Outlook and Excel. When I click on Excel, it says Desktop only. Outlook oly says Full disk access. No other office apps listed here, is this the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.