Windows Update

Dan McDermott 155 Reputation points
2026-09-14T12:11:42.7866667+00:00

I am on Insider Preview 24H2 and Windows Update wants to install 24H2. But the installation option is only avialable when I have "w11 get the latest updates" turned on. Is that normal?

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Install, activate, and Windows update

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer recommended by moderator
Johnny55 5,235 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-09-20T18:55:09.8733333+00:00

Hi Dan,

You need to toggle Show Release Preview under Advanced options and change from Beta to Release Preview as as shown below. This is RP version running 26H2Release

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

24 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. CrazyKats 19,925 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-18T18:38:42.92+00:00

    Hi Dan,

    I believe after you are deleting the

    Registry Key you are going back

    into the Insider Program settings

    and rejoining Insiders.

    You would NOT be being offered

    that build as it is a Canary/Future build.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. SD - IA 180.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T16:40:07.4066667+00:00

    So - what do I do next and how do I know it will keep me from getting Insider Previews?

    Can you now check for updates and see if you are again offered Windows Insider Build?

    Was this answer helpful?

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. SD - IA 180.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T15:15:02.8833333+00:00

    Hi, copy everything, and then paste it into either CMD or PowerShell. It forces the Windows Insider program to stop using a registry key.

    Was this answer helpful?