File History. Reconnect Your Drive

Anders Strand-Holm 100 Reputation points
2026-09-12T09:39:10.8266667+00:00

When I try to run File history it indicate there is no available FHJ drive.
I have done various troubleshooting:

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory
I reset FH by renaming the Configuration and the Data folder to Configuration.old and Data. to Data.old

I had no need for the backup folders on my Network drive, so I deleted them in order to do a clean up for a new backup.

When I have selected the backup drive (NAS Server wired to the Router) and accepted the BitLocker must, I perform a Run Now just to get this error message, instantly:
"File History. Your files will be temporary copied to your hard drive until you reconnect your File History drive and run a backup"

That I can do in eternity.

PS. I can see that FH has generated the backup folders on my Network Drive, but they are empty, of course.

I have run out of possible solutions, so please help. BTW. The Network Drive is working fine and accessible from Windows Explorer.
I don't understand why I get this error, all of a sudden.
I need your help.
Thanks, Anders

File History Error

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

9 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Dallas Snell 10 Reputation points
    2026-09-22T17:02:08.07+00:00

    It looks like Microsoft is aware that KB5124008, build 26200.9445 broke File History. They don't seem to have a fix for it yet, other than trying to uninstall, which I can't seem to do on my PC.

    Here are some additional posts about it:

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Bruin_71 15 Reputation points
    2026-09-14T23:53:03.05+00:00

    I'm having essentially the same problem, except the FileHistory drive I'm trying to connect is my external SSD, not a network drive. I've used this drive for a very long time without problems. Now, for some reason, FH insists I "Reconnect" it.

    Not having any luck troubleshooting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  3. Ramesh 182.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-22T18:27:16.6433333+00:00

    Update from Microsoft:

    September 22, 2026—KB5124010 (OS Builds 26200.9550 and 26100.9550) Preview resolves the File History error.


    [File History] This update addresses an issue where File History might fail to back up or restore files to an external drive or network location. Affected devices might incorrectly display a “Reconnect your drive” message even when a compatible backup drive is connected and working properly.


    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. CrazyKats 19,925 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-22T17:06:43.7466667+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.