Windows Update problem with KB5101650 and KB5120249

Steve E 5 Reputation points
2026-08-16T15:50:58.06+00:00

Both these recent Windows Updates are not working properly for me. They install without problem, but after approx 6 minutes, the whole system freezes, inc mouse, keyboard etc. Only option is to shut down at the power. On restart it does the same thing again - freezes after 6 minutes.

Only option is to Pause updates, uninstall the relevant update, reboot and then everything's ok again.

I am running Windows 10 Home. KB5101650 was installed on 18 July 2026 and today I tried to run windows update again and it pulled down KB5120249 instead - both causing the same problem above.

No recent hardware changes in the last 12 months, so any help would be appreciated. Guessing others have encountered similar problems?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

11 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Steve E 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T19:09:04.25+00:00

    Hello again,

    As previously mentioned I took the plunge and turned on Windows Update again yesterday and it installed KB5126256 and once again PC froze after exactly 5 mins. I managed to uninstall and all was fine again.

    I did read elsewhere about a task called Secure Boot Update causing this problem. It's in Task Scheduler here: Microsoft\Windows\PI\Secure-Boot-Update. I disabled this, re-installed the update and everything went smoothly - no freezes/crashes. Rebooted PC just to be sure and all is still good as I type this.

    So, it looks like this is the culprit and suspect my BIOS is too old to update, which has been suggested the ultimate problem. PC is over 10 years old, so will have to live with this for now.

    Just to add though, I force installed Windows 11 on the same PC as a dual boot and that also crashed after 5 mins with the latest update - again disabling Secure Boot it was fine. So this is not just a Win 10 thing. That does point to my PC and the very old BIOS which I'm pretty sure I can't update.

    Anyway, that's the latest, so at least there is a temp workaround and good to know what is actually causing it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,915 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-08-31T05:03:24.0166667+00:00

    You are always welcome, and I hope it will be all good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,915 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-08-30T05:10:05.5233333+00:00

    Hi, thank you for that information. What I can highly suggest is to post the issue on the Feedback Hub so that developers will also be aware of this problem, and hopefully the fix will be applied as soon as possible.

    To send Feedback: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/send-feedback-to-microsoft-with-the-feedback-hub-app-f59187f8-8739-22d6-ba93-f66612949332

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,915 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-08-24T16:29:48.85+00:00

    Hi, thank you for replying. Since the issue persists, I suggest contacting a local technician to physically check the device for any hardware-related issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,915 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-08-18T01:11:55.0433333+00:00

    Sure, thanks, and I hope it will be all good.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.