error code,0x800704cf

Prescott DeMeo 85 Reputation points
2026-03-16T19:19:24.4766667+00:00

I am using windows 11on a PC and when I try to log into my Microsoft account I get the error code, even though I am already online. How do I sort this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

9 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. KENTBEATTY-1699 10 Reputation points
    2026-04-07T22:00:15.38+00:00

    Problem resolved temporarily on Windows 10 ESU by uninstalling March 2026 Security Update (KB5078885). Now I can sign into Office apps again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Gary Arnold 0 Reputation points
    2026-03-17T15:58:01.39+00:00

    I had to make a new profile on my computer. Using that profile, I was able to sign in to both my work and personal OneDrive. Also, when I went back to my original profile, I was also able to sign in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Arlene D 36,260 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-03-16T19:55:05.23+00:00

    Hey! This error means Windows fails to reach Microsoft account services even when the PC shows internet access. It could be network connection issue. Try these steps.

    • Open Settings, select Network and Internet, confirm the PC shows Connected.

    • Restart the PC, then try the Microsoft account sign in again in Settings > Accounts.

    • Open a web browser and sign in to your Microsoft account at https://account.microsoft.com to confirm the account works.

    If the account signs in through the browser but Windows still shows error 0x800704cf, share the exact message and where the error appears. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.