Find and Find/Replace no longer work in Microsoft Word for iPad - help!

Douglas Stoker 85 Reputation points
2025-10-10T00:22:34.82+00:00

Today, while trying to work on a novel I am writing, the Find function is no longer working – either Cmd-F or the magnifying glass. I need to be able to use this function to continue working efficiently! In an attempt to answer any questions up front:

-              When did you first notice that Command-F stopped working? This morning (10/09). There was an update last night that changed the functionality of Word. Yes, the Find function works in other apps, including web browsers, emails, and Notes.

-              Which version of Word are you using on the iPad? My iPadOS is version 26.0.1 and the Word version is 2.102. I updated iPadOS to 26.0.1 to today to make sure it was the latest version, and still doesn’t work.

-              Are you working in a document saved locally or in OneDrive? Both – the search function does not work regardless of where the file is located

-              Is the issue happening in all Word documents or just specific ones? Every Word document I have tried

-              Are you using a physical keyboard or the on-screen keyboard? I have a physical keyboard, but it fails to work with the on-screen keyboard as well.

-              Check Keyboard Functionality: Kindly test Command-F in another app (e.g., Safari or Notes) – the Search command works in multiple web browsers, email, and Notes

-              Use on-screen Find tool – the on-scren Find tool (the little magnifying glass) does not work either. I type in a phrase – one I am looking at on screen, so I know it is in the document – and it closes without showing any actions

-              Restart your iPad – I’ve restarted my iPad, three times

-              Update Word and iPadOS (if they are not up to date) – as stated, I updated everything this morning. The problem started when I updated Word – automatically – last night

-              Reinstall Microsoft Word – this is painful. I did this, not realizing ALL of my saved documents were in a Word File that would be deleted. I lost multiple chapters of a book I am writing, a cookbook I am writing of my favorite recipes, a journal, and multiple other highly important documents to me … because I deleted and reinstalled Word. I am NOT HAPPY with Word currently.

-              Make sure your documents are backed up to OneDrive or iCloud first – yeah, should have double checked this, but it doesn’t change the fact that I never would have lost them if MICROSOFT hadn’t released a BONEHEADED update for Bug Fixes … and destroyed one of the main features of ANY word processor.

 

Please find a way to re-activate the Find or Find/Replace option – it’s stupid that it is nonfunctional.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | iOS

13 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Danny de Fouw 10 Reputation points
    2025-10-14T09:46:52.75+00:00

    I found a work around: Open the file in M365 Copilot! It’s like the full version of Word but then with more cr*p attached. But for now it works.

    (Once again a reason to start leaving Office behind)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Dominic Donnelly 0 Reputation points
    2025-10-19T19:22:54.8166667+00:00

    I can longer create new word documents

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Steve Cheal 10 Reputation points
    2025-10-18T18:00:33.91+00:00

    It’s a huge issue - I’m paying for a subscription and I use the Find function all the time. This is a situation they need to sort out ASAP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Dominic Donnelly 0 Reputation points
    2025-10-17T19:44:18.04+00:00

    Mine has stopped working altogether. I can no longer type anything, my keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Jessica Re Moté 0 Reputation points
    2025-10-17T13:57:45.0933333+00:00

    Having the same issue. It was convenient and I use it a lot for my books.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.