Microsoft sign in from IPv6 associated with Microsoft

Trevor M 270 Reputation points
2025-07-27T21:14:14.2766667+00:00

This afternoon I noticed a successful sign in on my Microsoft account from an IPv6 address. I am located in the US, so this is abnormal. The address is 2a01:111:f402:f0f9::f147. The location shows as Phoenix, Arizona.

Upon looking into the address, the signs point to it being a Microsoft Data Center. I reset my password anyway just out of caution.

I already had MFA enabled, my password was reset two weeks prior to this for unrelated reasons, and I never received a login notification after this event. There are no unknown devices or apps connected to my account.

I did update and shutdown my PC around 10-30 minutes before the login appeared on my account. Could this be from a Microsoft service accessing my account?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Identity Manager

19 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Rob Koch 26,175 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-08-11T22:55:55.1433333+00:00

    Everyone monitoring or viewing this thread, please note I have chosen to provide my answers for the likely reasons in a different thread, since the comments added by the poster Thomas to that thread provided valuable added information I could use to reinforce the likely reasons this is occurring.

    The involvement of IPv6, including its history within the Microsoft account Activity logs, as well as the fact that mobile devices have long been known to provide inconsistent location information are all involved.

    Also note that a portion of my responses to Thomas were placed in a comment following one of his, so for a complete reading you'll need to expand the comments and read that long one as well in the following thread.

    Someone else successfully login without going through authenticator app!!?? - Microsoft Q&A

    Individual aspects of what causes the particular alerts you receive may vary, but the general reasons they occur and why are mostly covered in that other thread.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Chell Wiggy 15 Reputation points
    2025-08-10T02:24:08.9766667+00:00

    I am getting sign-ins from San Antonio as well. Like others, I have taken all security precautions and have Defender, etc. It was odd, I used to see unsuccessfulI sign-ins from all over the world. Then they just stopped. I was pleasantly surprised. Now I get this address signing in every few days. I can’t keep checking like this. Not to mention, I don’t always see it until hours later. I do not receive any notifications or alerts, despite having to enter a code myself every time. The only concern is the ip address is listed somewhere London and not San Antonio. 2a01:111:f402:f034::f153 This is getting rather old and if it is Microsoft, they should list it next to the sign-in or be transparent if they can’t stop these actions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  3. Mauro Junior 5 Reputation points
    2025-08-13T17:56:40.27+00:00

    Same problem here, for days now, IP address: 2a01:111:f402:f034::f138 San Antonio, I'm in Brazil

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Patrick van den Putte 10 Reputation points
    2025-08-13T14:16:52.73+00:00

    Hi all,

    I'm experiencing repeated unauthorized logins to my account, similar to what others have reported. These occurred on:

    • 28/07
    • 01/08
    • 11/08
    • And also prior to 28/07

    Each time, the login was successful from IP address 2a01:111:f402:f0a6::f160, which appears to be located in the Cardiff, UK area and possibly associated with Microsoft. Notably:

    • I did not receive any notification via the authenticator app.
    • I have already changed my password once.
    • The issue persists, and there's been no satisfactory explanation from Microsoft support.

    Since it seems no one from Microsoft is actively monitoring this thread or providing meaningful follow-up, I believe we need to escalate this through other channels.

    Has anyone managed to get further than a generic or unhelpful response from the Microsoft helpdesk? I not I will try what other channels I/we could use, since this at least needs a serious explanation.

    Best regards,

    Patrick

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  5. Kendall Saldaño 5 Reputation points
    2025-08-13T07:30:59.53+00:00

    Same problem, two logins from Canadian IP supposedly from Microsoft. I think we deserve an explanation because even having all the security measures, there was no notification in any of the affected users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.