Viva Engage - Import users with CSV fails with Failure Reason: Unclassified

Anonymous
2025-02-02T23:39:32+00:00

What reason are import failures on Viva Engage occuring with Failure Reason: "Unclassified" and how can this be resoved?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Viva | Viva Engage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-02-05T10:12:34+00:00

So far no solution, however the case is being escalated to MS Engineering for more effort.

Until solved, there is a workaround by using Entra to upload users via the bulk operations option shown below:

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

22 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-15T01:32:50+00:00

    I have the same problem. Uploaded a clean CSV with 200 items, thorougly checked the data quality and integrity, failed due to "Unclassified" for each line item. I then chopped it into 4 x 50 line items, they all failed too. Like others here I have tried everything, this is clearly a bug as many other have reported.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T06:41:01+00:00

    Dear MikeGeeX,

    Many thanks for sharing the update with workaround, it will greatly benefit other community members. We'll mark your reply as the answer to help others find the resolution more efficiently.

    Here’s a summary of the case for other community members who might encounter a similar issue:

    Description of the problem

    =============

    Viva Engage - Import users with CSV fails with Failure Reason: Unclassified

    Environment:

    =============

    Viva Engage

    Workaround:

    =============

    Use Entra admin center to upload users via the bulk operations.

    Suggestion:

    =============

    Contact Online Support team with admin privileges for fix and use the workaround for now.

    Have a nice day. Hope you stay safe and healthy always!

    Sincerely,

    Rhoda | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T03:59:06+00:00

    I tried the same steps in a private Edge browser and incognito Chrome browser. With the same result. In addition, I used a that file previously succeeded with just two names, and it still fails on multiple communities with the same reason "Unclassified". As a result, I opened a support case with Microsoft Support: Case# 25****00****1***.

    [PII masked by MSFT]

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T15:14:08+00:00

    Hi,

    I have the same issue and have done a bulk from Azur as well with no luck.

    Me and a colleague gets "unclassified" error.

    Checked the data an no special characters or such.

    Would be great if this could be fixed asap! since this is a community intended to have many users.

    I need to add +1000 and that will not be done manually.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments