Windows 11 boot stuck at Windows Recovery Environment

Anonymous
2023-08-29T02:28:53+00:00

Yesterday, I turned on my computer and it directly took me to Windows Recovery Environment which means that Windows 11 didn't load normally. I turned off the computer and tried to restart but came to the same place, Win RE. Then I moved forward with the options I had. Options were: Use a Device, Troubleshoot, and Turn off your PC. I clicked on Use a device and it gave me only one option which was EFI USB Device. I clicked on it and it gave me an error after a few seconds of some process going in the background: The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to Continue. Then, I press enter and come back to the same WinRE place where it started.

Then I choose the Troubleshoot option and I get 6 more options: Startup repair, Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware Settings, System Restore, and System Image Recovery. I click on Startup Repair, and it asks me for some Bitlocker key. I go to the website shown on screen and find the recovery key and enter it and continue. Then startup repair starts and then gives me an error that it couldn't repair the pc and go back to the advanced options. I know that this problem isn't because of an update because the last update I made was Preview Build 22631.2262 on August 24th, and it made no sense to uninstall the update because it had some great fixes to some problems. I couldn't do anything with system restore or system image recovery because I had nothing for that. I know nothing related to CMD in WinRE, but I did notice one thing that the path showing started with "X:" drive rather than "C:" drive. It is strange because I have not created any kind of X: in my laptop with the partition stuff. And there is nothing I could do with UEFI because this a brand-new laptop (5 months old) and I have never touched the UEFI stuff. I did try to do some system diagnostics, but everything was good to go and no errors.

This problem cannot allow me to boot normally into Windows 11 and it doesn't let me use my computer. This really is a high priority issue that I have got for the first time in the lifetime of using Windows OSs. There are no logs or kind of data that I can attach since I am using another laptop for submitting this question or feedback.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-08-30T05:21:20+00:00

Let's try rebuilding the EFI boot partition. Run these commands:

  • diskpart
  • list vol
  • select volume 1 Important: ... where Volume #1 is the FAT32 EFI system partition. Verify the same when you type the command.
  • assign letter=y
  • set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
  • exit
  • format y: /fs:FAT32 /q
  • bcdboot C:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI

(For more information and screenshots, see How to Rebuild the EFI Boot Partition, BCD and Boot Files)

Please share the screenshots of the above commands.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

20 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-25T05:14:59+00:00

    Hello Ramesh:

    I have another problem here that could be something related to the issue we discussed in this thread. The slowness is, to be honest, not fixed, even when I took it to the Best Buy Geek Squad did their diagnostics and virus removal procedures (none found though). I am not sure why this is a problem, but that is not one of my concerns right now.

    Since the OS problem happened and the Windows OS was recovered, I couldn't use Windows Security (aka Windows Defender) on my computer. I have created a new thread related to this and it is linked right here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-security/windows-securitydefender-offline-not-working/b229e4cf-9547-436f-99ae-8ea07f4ef8cc

    Please let me know how I can be of any help!

    Best,

    Shivam Vyas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-01T03:46:27+00:00

    Hi Shivam,

    You're most welcome.

    I hope you figure out the root cause of the slowness. If you need help, feel free to start a thread.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-01T03:41:20+00:00

    Hello Ramesh!

    I totally appreciate your help all through this. I am finally relieved from this WinRE problem and all thanks to you and thank you for staying until the solution! Really, really big thank you for the help!

    Since Windows has now loaded up normally, I will look into the slowness matter on my own. I first needed to know if this is caused after something related to the boot partition solution, and you mentioned it is not. So, I will do a quick maintenance of my laptop and go through everything in detail to keep it updated and ready to go with least security compromises or errors. I will be doing all those necessary maintenance steps this weekend and once I find some results, I will surely let you know in this thread if I have created a new thread for performance issue or not.

    Thank you so much once again!!! Really helps a lot!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-09-01T03:10:25+00:00

    Hi there,

    Nice, I'm glad it's fixed.

    Regarding the performance issue you're referring to, if the slowness is while using Windows, the boot partition is unrelated to the issue. You may start a new thread and post a link here. I'll look into the issue. This question can be closed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments