Windows 11 boot stuck at Windows Recovery Environment

Anonymous
2023-08-29T02:28:53+00:00

Yesterday, I turned on my computer and it directly took me to Windows Recovery Environment which means that Windows 11 didn't load normally. I turned off the computer and tried to restart but came to the same place, Win RE. Then I moved forward with the options I had. Options were: Use a Device, Troubleshoot, and Turn off your PC. I clicked on Use a device and it gave me only one option which was EFI USB Device. I clicked on it and it gave me an error after a few seconds of some process going in the background: The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to Continue. Then, I press enter and come back to the same WinRE place where it started.

Then I choose the Troubleshoot option and I get 6 more options: Startup repair, Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware Settings, System Restore, and System Image Recovery. I click on Startup Repair, and it asks me for some Bitlocker key. I go to the website shown on screen and find the recovery key and enter it and continue. Then startup repair starts and then gives me an error that it couldn't repair the pc and go back to the advanced options. I know that this problem isn't because of an update because the last update I made was Preview Build 22631.2262 on August 24th, and it made no sense to uninstall the update because it had some great fixes to some problems. I couldn't do anything with system restore or system image recovery because I had nothing for that. I know nothing related to CMD in WinRE, but I did notice one thing that the path showing started with "X:" drive rather than "C:" drive. It is strange because I have not created any kind of X: in my laptop with the partition stuff. And there is nothing I could do with UEFI because this a brand-new laptop (5 months old) and I have never touched the UEFI stuff. I did try to do some system diagnostics, but everything was good to go and no errors.

This problem cannot allow me to boot normally into Windows 11 and it doesn't let me use my computer. This really is a high priority issue that I have got for the first time in the lifetime of using Windows OSs. There are no logs or kind of data that I can attach since I am using another laptop for submitting this question or feedback.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-08-30T05:21:20+00:00

Let's try rebuilding the EFI boot partition. Run these commands:

  • diskpart
  • list vol
  • select volume 1 Important: ... where Volume #1 is the FAT32 EFI system partition. Verify the same when you type the command.
  • assign letter=y
  • set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
  • exit
  • format y: /fs:FAT32 /q
  • bcdboot C:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI

(For more information and screenshots, see How to Rebuild the EFI Boot Partition, BCD and Boot Files)

Please share the screenshots of the above commands.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

20 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-01T03:02:46+00:00

    Let's try rebuilding the EFI boot partition. Run these commands:

    • diskpart
    • list vol
    • select volume 1 Important: ... where Volume #1 is the FAT32 EFI system partition. Verify the same when you type the command.
    • assign letter=y
    • set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
    • exit
    • format y: /fs:FAT32 /q
    • bcdboot C:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI

    (For more information and screenshots, see How to Rebuild the EFI Boot Partition, BCD and Boot Files)

    Please share the screenshots of the above commands.

    Hello Ramesh!

    This actually worked for me. I don't know what happened, but the boot partition and other things are now fixed! Now I can completely load the Windows 11 OS normally. I am not sure what caused the boot partition problems, but somehow it looks that the problem is solved. There is one problem though. My laptop is running very slower than before the problem had occurred. Would there be something related to this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T13:58:17+00:00

    You are showing around 6 MBs of free space on your drive. Do you know what that is or how it got there?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T04:49:28+00:00

    Yes. The attached image to this post is those commands.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-08-30T02:59:24+00:00

    Unfortunately, those are not the commands I asked you to run.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments