Volume won't go over 37 and sound warning disappeared

Anonymous
2019-06-15T16:34:09+00:00

After I plugged in a speaker to this laptop, I noticed that there is no way to increase volume over 37. There was no sound warning too. I connected my earbuds which I use everyday and have had no problem before, the same thing happens. How to fix?

Also there is no enhancement tab when both were connected.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

38 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-20T02:23:38+00:00

    This happened to me and it's driving me crazy. I've had my computer for more than three years and this just started happening a month or so ago. I found a fix, though -- go to Device Manager, double-click on Sound, video, and game controllers. Then double-click Realtek Audio, go to Driver tab, then click Update driver. Select Browse my computer for driver software, then Let me pick from a list... When I did that, the driver that was installed on my computer when I purchase it came up (for me, release date of 2016). I re-installed that and now my volume works as before. 

    I think the problem is with the Realtek release 6.0.1.8678 from 4/9/19. The dates line up for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-23T07:55:04+00:00

    I hate this notification, so I went to the notifications section of the settings and disabled it, hoping I could just turn up my volume without being bothered. To my surprise, I ran into the problem that you're talking about, and to solve it I just went to:

    -Notifications & Actions settings

    -Get Notifications from these apps

    And turned the "Realtek Audio Console" notifications on. Lo and Behold, the notification got back, and I could hit allow and turn the volume up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-16T08:23:09+00:00

    I've followed the instruction through all the steps, but this didn't fix the problem. Thank you for your effort to write such long piece though.

    Additionally, when I use my cursor to drag the volume level over 37, it just keeps returning back to 37. 

    I have just reinstalled realtek (R) audio in the device manager tab, but it won't do anything. All the devices related to sound are said to be the newest version.

    This is so frustrating, why would microsoft people think they can just set someone's laptop max volume to 37 and when a user cannot even raise it over that without the sound warning even popping up because of some bug or error, they can just hand off and relax maybe. I really hope they PLEASE remove this sound threshold and fix my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-17T23:24:16+00:00

    it didn't solve the problem, the same thing happens.

    Thank you so much for your effort though.

    In past months I've already resetted this laptop 3-4 times and I don't think I have enough time and effort to do all the post-reset jobs again.

    I guess I have to live with this forever. F* microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-23T22:40:16+00:00

    The only and simplest possible way is to turn off ear protection option from SOUND SETTING

    1. Open Sound Setting from Control Panel
    2. Click device properties
    3. Click additional device properties
    4. Click custom 
    5. finally uncheck the EAR PROTECTION and it's DONE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments