Microsoft sign in from IPv6 associated with Microsoft

Trevor M 270 Reputation points
2025-07-27T21:14:14.2766667+00:00

This afternoon I noticed a successful sign in on my Microsoft account from an IPv6 address. I am located in the US, so this is abnormal. The address is 2a01:111:f402:f0f9::f147. The location shows as Phoenix, Arizona.

Upon looking into the address, the signs point to it being a Microsoft Data Center. I reset my password anyway just out of caution.

I already had MFA enabled, my password was reset two weeks prior to this for unrelated reasons, and I never received a login notification after this event. There are no unknown devices or apps connected to my account.

I did update and shutdown my PC around 10-30 minutes before the login appeared on my account. Could this be from a Microsoft service accessing my account?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Identity Manager

19 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeff Sussman 25 Reputation points
    2025-07-30T03:14:14.58+00:00

    image

    Same for me. I've enabled 2FA and the other (expected) Recent Activity showed "Additional verification requested" below successful sign-in activity but this one did not show "Additional verification requested". I think this could be a Microsoft Data center IP address but not sure. None of my other logins used IPv6 addresses. Changed my password just to be safe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.

  2. Comfort Mmoledi 35 Reputation points
    2025-08-14T12:05:58.27+00:00

    Screenshot 2025-08-14 122225

    Okay.... so this is a mixed bag but we all have the same thing in common "someone from an IP of 2a01:111:...... has successfully logged into our onedrives and we are all around the world and have very strong security measures i.e. passwordless account and 2FA, so technically according to process flows its IMPOSSIBLE TO BREACH otherwise you would be notified, we can sit here and argue about it all day but IT does not work like that, a breach would have triggered a process flow which the provider of the service provides i.e. email or text. Now that's one aspect covered. If you google the IP which majority of us have you will see that its not associated to a person its directly from Microsoft data centres?? Scary I know... which means technically they can access your account but the question is why?.... SIMPLE they have special permissions on the site which we don't have hence they don't need a password or 2FA. I'm guessing this is for maintenance of their platform BUT why is it that we are able to see frequent log in attempts from these mystery IP's?? so we have to do some homework here because Onedrive is not a SERVER its a global CLOUD infrastructure operating within a server allowing you to access your files from anywhere in the world which i believe is possible because Sharepoint is a server meaning your data is on a server you just need a password to access it so technically it can be breached you just need a password and 2FA as I explained above. So now we are back to square 1.......

    What is happening?? - these problems have occured in the past and guess what they will occure in the future: this thread is from 2020 https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/discussions/identityauth/why-are-microsoft-data-centres-logging-in-to-my-office-365-accounts-activity-ale/1139179/replies/1557347

    Also to put some of you at ease it could just be maintenance but who know????

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Ginger O 40 Reputation points
    2025-07-29T14:52:55.2833333+00:00

    Following - same scenario with me. Based in US, successful sign in in Phoenix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Ric T 30 Reputation points
    2025-08-06T22:58:54.1233333+00:00

    Glad I'm not alone with this issue. I'm in Oz and someone from this address :-2a01:111:f402:f064::f153 was showing up. According to Co Pilot its Microsoft.

    The IPv6 address is part of a subnet assigned to Microsoft Azure, and it's associated with the autonomous system AS8075 (MICROSOFT-CORP-MSN-AS-BLOCK).

    🌏 Location Details:

    • Country: United States

    • Region: Virginia

    • City: Washington

    • Latitude/Longitude: 38.7095, -78.1539

    • Organization: Microsoft Corporation

    This IP is classified as a public IPv6 address, and it's not listed on any known blacklists or TOR exit nodes.

    It bypassed all my security, eg Passwordless login, 2FA and Passkey. Didn't get any prompts from Authenticator. I did reset and report and signed out of everywhere. Very time consuming.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  5. TheRealSebgamer-1873 25 Reputation points
    2025-08-01T16:41:52.9066667+00:00

    Same to me. Yesterday and on July 29th. Both different IPv6 registered to Microsoft.

    I beleve its a bug. What else should it be. My account war vry secrue because of 2FA e.g. and like you other told you had your 2FA enabled and nothing happed to the account like by me from my opinion it only could be an MS problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.