Help with subscription

Yvonne Colle-Burden 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T05:50:11.8633333+00:00

Greetings,

The laptop I was using when Microsoft 365 Family was renewed in June 2026 is no longer usable. Does the subscription travel with this email account, or with the device? 

I ask because, while I was creating a Word document on a new device, I kept receiving a message that the 365 Family subscription had expired. I was under the impression the subscription was still active.

Any help explaining this would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. SD - IA 180.9K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T06:26:29.8833333+00:00

    Hello,

    The subscription is attached to the email, as long as Office 365 isn't provided by the school.

    The Services and subscriptions page is here:

    https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365

    Side note: On the new laptop, open Word > File > Account and check the email address under User Information. It must be the same Microsoft account that has the Microsoft 365 Family subscription.

    For your follow up question:

    When I try to log in thru Word, a message comes up that my school account is no longer active...which is not true, because I receive emails daily.

    1. Sign out of the school account in Word: File > Account > Sign out. Close Word completely.
    2. Reopen Word.

    Sign in with the personal Microsoft account that owns the Microsoft 365 Family subscription, not the school email address. Microsoft specifically says to use the account that purchased/subscribed to Microsoft 365 for activation.

    I hope this information helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Wishing you good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Yvonne Colle-Burden 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T06:01:34.2733333+00:00

    When I try to log in thru Word, a message comes up that my school account is no longer active...which is not true, because I receive emails daily.

    What is going on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Yvonne Colle-Burden 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T05:55:10.3466667+00:00

    Where do I find the Services and Subscription page?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. AI answer

    2026-10-08T05:50:29.1766667+00:00

    For Microsoft 365 Family, the subscription is tied to the Microsoft account, not to one specific device. The desktop apps can be installed on Mac or PC, and after installation they are activated by signing in with the Microsoft account that has the subscription.

    The expired message on the new device usually means one of these:

    1. The Office apps on the new device are signed in with a different Microsoft account than the one that owns the Microsoft 365 Family subscription.
    2. The subscription did not fully renew or still needs attention in the account.
    3. Office has gone into reduced functionality mode and needs an internet connection and sign-in to reactivate.

    Recommended checks:

    1. Go to the Microsoft account Services & subscriptions page and confirm that Microsoft 365 Family shows as active.
    2. On the new device, open Word or Excel and make sure Office is signed in with that same Microsoft account.
    3. If the subscription was renewed recently, close all Office apps after renewal, then reopen them.
    4. If Office has not connected to the internet recently, reconnect to the internet and sign in again. Microsoft 365 apps can show unlicensed or reduced functionality if they do not connect at least every 39 days.
    5. If the apps are missing on the new device, reinstall them from the account’s Services & subscriptions page.

    If the renewal was paid but the status online does not look correct, check the renewal status online first. If it is still wrong after that, contact Microsoft Support. If this is a work or school subscription, the Microsoft 365 admin or IT department must be contacted instead.

    If the subscription has actually expired, the Office apps stay installed, but they go into Reduced Functionality Mode: documents can still be opened and usually printed, but new documents cannot be created and existing ones cannot be edited until the subscription is restored.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.