I am unable to edit, print any of my Microsoft products

Geeta McMillan 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T17:40:59.1933333+00:00

I cannot edit or print a word document or an excel document. At the top of the document it says activate. I click and it asks me to subscribe. I am a current subscriber - I checked my account and it is not due for renewal until January 2027. I have not tried other products such as Powerpoint because I am not happy and don't want to get more frustrated

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.9K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-09T18:48:13.0466667+00:00

    I cannot edit or print a word document or an excel document. At the top of the document it says activate. I click and it asks me to subscribe. I am a current subscriber - I checked my account and it is not due for renewal until January 2027. I have not tried other products such as Powerpoint because I am not happy and don't want to get more frustrated

    Try the following first: Start Word. On the main menu bar, click Word and then click Sign Out. Restart your Mac. Restart Word and sign back in.

    If it still fails, continue troubleshooting via https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365-activation-licensing/what-to-try-if-you-can-t-install-or-activate-office-for-mac .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. John Jefferson Doyon 89,445 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-09T18:27:00.0933333+00:00

    Hi, @Geeta McMillan

    To help narrow down the issue:

    1. What exact error message do you see after clicking "Activate"?
    2. What exact Microsoft 365 subscription is listed at https://account.microsoft.com/services?
    3. What macOS version is installed on the Mac?

    Any additional info about the issue you can provide will be helpful in diagnosing and resolving the issue.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. AI answer

    2026-10-09T17:41:13.8766667+00:00

    This behavior matches Office running in Unlicensed Product / reduced functionality mode. In that state, documents can usually be opened, but editing and creating new content are blocked, and activation must be fixed to restore full use.

    For a current Microsoft 365 subscriber on Mac, use this order:

    1. Refresh the license in Word
      • Open Word.
      • Go to Word > About Microsoft Word.
      • Next to Belongs to:, select More Info.
      • Select Refresh License.
      • When prompted, sign in with the Microsoft account that owns the active Microsoft 365 subscription.
    2. Sign out of any wrong account and sign back in with the subscribed account
      • If Office is signed in with a different Microsoft, work, or school account, activation can fail.
      • In Office, sign out of all shown accounts, close all Office apps, reopen Word, and sign in only with the account that has the active subscription.
    3. Confirm the subscription is attached to the same account used in Office
      • For Microsoft 365 Personal or Family, check Services & subscriptions on the Microsoft account dashboard.
      • The active Microsoft 365 subscription should appear there.
    4. Update Office
      • In an Office app, go to File > Account.
      • Under Product Information, choose Update Options > Update Now.
      • This can resolve activation issues.
    5. If activation is still blocked, reinstall Office from the subscription page
      • Uninstall Office for Mac.
      • Reinstall it from the Subscriptions / Services & subscriptions page of the Microsoft account that owns the subscription.
      • This helps when the installed Office copy does not match the license or the local license state is damaged.
    6. Temporary workaround
      • Documents can be edited in Word for the web / Office Online while desktop activation is being fixed.

    If Office remains unlicensed after these steps, use the activation troubleshooter referenced in Microsoft’s activation guidance.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.