Recover sent emails

LavKon 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T17:40:16.3733333+00:00

Hello,

I am using a personal Outlook.com account primarily through Outlook.com in a web browser.

I have discovered that emails that were previously stored in my Sent Items folder are now missing. I did not intentionally delete these messages, and I would like to know whether Microsoft can investigate what happened and whether the missing Sent Items can be restored from the server.

I have already checked:

Sent Items

Deleted Items

Recover Deleted Items

Search across all folders

Could you please check whether there are recoverable copies, backups, or server-side records of the missing sent emails and advise whether they can be restored?

These emails are important to me, so I would appreciate any recovery options that may still be available.

Thank you.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Thomas4-N 22,395 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-11T07:05:41.3433333+00:00

    Hello LavKon,

    Sorry to hear your Sent Items went missing. I can see you've already covered the usual checks, and I know these emails matter to you.

    Please understand that this forum is user-to-user, so none of us can access your mailbox, look for backups, or restore anything on the server side.

    A few things that might still be worth a quick try:

    If none of that turns them up, Outlook.com Support is the only route that can look at the mailbox itself. In Outlook.com, select Help, describe the issue, scroll to Still need help?, and choose Yes to reach support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/get-help-with-outlook-com

    I hope you best of luck in recovering. Warm regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-07T17:40:31.4833333+00:00

    For an Outlook.com account, the remaining self-service recovery paths are the ones already checked: Sent Items, Deleted Items, Recover items deleted from this folder, and search across folders.

    If the messages are not in Deleted Items or Recoverable Items, they have probably been permanently removed and cannot be restored from the mailbox.

    Supported recovery checks for Outlook on the web / Outlook.com:

    1. Open Deleted Items in Outlook on the web or Outlook.com.
    2. At the top of the message list, select Recover next to Recover items deleted from this folder.
    3. Select any items found and choose Restore.
    4. Also check Junk Email. If a message is there by mistake, select it and use Report > Not junk.

    Important limits called out for Outlook on the web / Outlook.com:

    • Email is automatically deleted from Deleted Items after 30 days.
    • Items removed from Deleted Items are recoverable for 30 days.
    • Junk email is retained for 30 days before automatic deletion.

    For sent mail specifically, Outlook stores sent messages in Sent Items, but older items may no longer appear if they were deleted or if only a limited period is being synchronized in some Outlook configurations. In Outlook desktop, sent items may also be missing if Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder is not enabled.

    For Outlook.com, the available support guidance indicates that if missing mail is no longer visible in the mailbox after these recovery steps, it has likely been permanently removed. The available next step is to use Outlook.com support channels if further account help is needed.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.