I need help unravelling my sign in details

Peter Godfrey 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T09:10:55.0833333+00:00

My MS subscription account name is my AOL email. I use Outlook I have apple phones but the rest is microsoft PC and software. I cannot sign into my outlook on my phone with authenticator because it is not allowed and that is the advice you have given me. I have tried to edit my Aliases to include my outlook account but when I try as prompted to add it it tells me that email is already taken. So it seems like a loop I need help with.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Chloe-V 13,460 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-05T01:44:18.68+00:00

    Hi @Peter Godfrey

    I understand how confusing it is to be caught between your AOL sign-in, Outlook account, and Microsoft Authenticator.

    Your AOL address may be the sign-in name for the Microsoft account that holds your Microsoft 365 subscription. If your existing Outlook.com address shows as already taken, it is likely already connected to a separate Microsoft account and cannot be added as an alias to the AOL-based account.

    Please sign in to the Microsoft account associated with your AOL address, open Your info > Manage how you sign in to Microsoft, then select Add email and create a new Outlook.com address as an alias. Do not remove your AOL address, as it remains connected to your subscription.

    Once the new alias has been created, try adding the account to Outlook on your iPhone again. If verification is required, ensure that the same AOL-based personal Microsoft account is registered in Microsoft Authenticator.

    Please feel free to let me know if you have any further updates, thanks.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes". If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.