How do I make the Windows 11 Taskbar always on top?

TiredSoul 201 Reputation points
2021-12-13T14:34:02.61+00:00

I cant seem to access my taskbar when it is hidden by auto-hide, and when I use the shortcuts, then switch to my tabs, it immediately disappears instead of going down. Every article I've read are for older windows versions, and use taskbar properties, but I don't know how to access taskbar properties on Windows 11, as right clicking it doesn't have all the options it used to.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

22 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. alonso ucf 1 Reputation point
    2023-01-08T13:36:49.103+00:00

    To make the taskbar always on top in Windows 11, follow these steps:
    Open Start Menu
    Search for regedit and open the Registry Editor.
    Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Expand Software
    Expand Microsoft
    Expand Windows
    Expand CurrentVersion
    Expand Explorer
    Click on StuckRects3
    Double-click the Settings.
    in the sixth column of the second row. Click the 03 value, press the Delete key
    The value 01 is to move the Taskbar at the top of the screen.
    Click the OK button.
    Once you complete the change. Restart Your computer.
    https://www.getwindowstips.com/change-taskbar-location-windows-11/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. DaPistolShrimp 11 Reputation points
    2023-01-03T18:12:33.027+00:00

    What I found to have fixed it, at least temporarily is to

    1. Go to Taskbar Settings (by right clicking the taskbar)
    2. Expand Taskbar behaviors
    3. Uncheck, then recheck "Show taskbar on all displays"

    This seem to reset the taskbar to always in focus and on top.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Ary 6 Reputation points
    2022-09-29T11:26:02.2+00:00

    I have tried mucking around with the regedit and followed the online articles and videos but still the new updates on the Windows 11 revert back to the defaults.
    I now absolutely hate the windows 11 ! hate how the new windows 11 doesn't allow you to move your task bar to the top. Having the task bar at the bottom is not ergonomic and it hurt my neck.
    What happened to having the option to customize your windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Jim D 1 Reputation point
    2022-02-06T22:24:15.06+00:00

    Same problem for me. I found out that the latest update to PowerToys was my specific direct cause. When I exited it, the taskbar worked properly. Since there are other "causes" and fixes reported, does anyone have an idea what underlying common problem is at fault (pun intended)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Dan Mattsson 1 Reputation point
    2022-02-05T22:04:15.993+00:00

    I have never had the overlay function activated and have the same problem. I can't believe this is still an issue - amazing sloppiness by MS. If someone knows how to deal with this, please let me know. It's driving me crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.