SSPR phone verification fails immediately – Sole Global Administrator locked out

Michael Fogh Broholt 0 Reputation points MVP
2026-10-08T22:02:42.49+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community and Microsoft Support,

I urgently need assistance recovering access to my Microsoft 365 tenant.

I am the sole Global Administrator of a paid Microsoft 365 tenant and have forgotten my administrator password.

When attempting Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR):

Recovery email verification completes successfully.

The second verification step requires a phone call.

As soon as I click "Call me", the verification fails immediately and displays an error.

No phone call is initiated or received.

SMS verification is not available as an alternative.

I have access to both my recovery email and registered phone number.

I have also attempted to contact Microsoft Support, but the telephone system disconnects my calls after approximately two minutes.

I cannot create a temporary trial tenant to open a support ticket.

How can I get this issue escalated to Microsoft's Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team without access to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center?

Can a Microsoft moderator help me establish a support channel to verify tenant ownership and recover my Global Administrator account?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-L 20,020 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T22:28:44.68+00:00

    Dear Michael,

    I'm sorry to hear you're locked out of your only Global Administrator account. That sounds stressful, especially since you've already tried every route you have. Unfortunately, as a forum moderator, I am not able to escalate cases to the Data Protection team or set up a support channel for you. My role here is limited to providing general guidance you can apply from your side.

    You're the only admin and SSPR can't finish, so the Data Protection team is the only team that can confirm you own the tenant and get you back in. Phone support is still the main way to reach them. I understand that you have already attempted to contact Support by phone without success. You may consider contacting Support again using the phone numbers listed in the article below and following the script below to help navigate the automated phone system and reach the appropriate support team more effectively.

    Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

    IVR: What kind of problem do you have? 

    You: Account recovery

    IVR: What kind of product do you use? 

    You: Office 365 for business. 

    IVR confirmation: education or business account?  

    You: For Business 

    IVR: Are you an administrator? 

    You: Yes. 

    IVR: Is there another administrator in your organization? 

    You: No. 

    IVR: Do you need a... service request? 

    You: Yes, please connect me with the Data Protection team. 

    Kindly note that you may need to repeat this process a few times, availability can vary based on local business hours, and the term "Global Admin" should be clearly mentioned during the call. 

    I hope you get through soon and regain access to your tenant. Wishing you all the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.