Sole Global Admin locked out due to broken phone (MFA/Authenticator Reset Needed)

Henrique Gabriel dos Santos 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T13:52:10.7133333+00:00

I am facing a very specific problem regarding a Tenant Lockout.

I created a business account for work with the email [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed] @clartebi.onmicrosoft.com, which is linked to the personal account I am using to write this message.

I configured the Microsoft Authenticator app on my device, but unfortunately, I did not have the cloud backup feature activated. My phone was completely destroyed in an accident and it no longer turns on.

Now, when I try to log into my business account, the system strictly requires approval via the Microsoft Authenticator app. Since I am the sole Global Administrator of this domain, I am completely locked out and there are no alternative verification options (like SMS or backup email) configured for the MFA.

I know the correct password, and my credit card is billed monthly for this subscription. I need this case to be escalated to the Data Protection Team so they can reset/clear the MFA methods for my user account, allowing me to register a new device.

How can we proceed with the identity verification process using my billing information?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kristen Tran 2,285 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T14:19:49.03+00:00

    Hi Henrique,

    I hope you're doing well.

    Sorry to hear you're having trouble signing in to your Microsoft account.

    From what you've described, it sounds like your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) setup may need to be reset. This can sometimes happen after switching to a new device, replacing a phone, or reinstalling the Microsoft Authenticator app. Since your new device hasn't been registered yet, the authentication requests may still be linked to your previous device, which can leave you stuck in a sign-in loop.

    If your account is also an admin account and there are no other available global administrators in your tenant, then the only way to regain access is to contact Microsoft support. Please try locating the appropriate hotline for your region here: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

    In this situation, the Microsoft Data Protection team has tools and processes in place to verify identity and regain access to administrator accounts. 

    Here are some tips and an example of a prompt to help you navigate the IVR more effectively: 

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)   

    In some regions, the initial interaction may be automated, so here’s a general idea of how the conversation might go to help you prepare:     

    • What kind of problem are you experiencing?        
    • Answer: Authenticator        
    • What products do you use?        
    • Answer: Office 365 for Business        
    • Is this for an education or company account?        
    • Answer: For companies        
    • Are you an administrator?        
    • Answer: Yes        
    • Are there any other administrators in your organization?        
    • Answer: No. I am the only admin in my tenant         
    • Do you need a... Service request?         
    • Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me directly to the Data Protection Teams.     

    During the phone call, you will need to provide the information associated with your subscription, such as your company name, billing details, phone number, and an alternate email address, etc. This information allows the Data Protection team to verify your identity and securely assist you in regaining access to your administrator account.     

    I also recommend calling during business hours. In my experience, it can be difficult to get through to the correct support queue, and automated systems don't always work as expected. If you can't get through on your first try, I suggest trying again later or at a different time.

    I know being locked out of the only admin account can be stressful, but contacting the Data Protection team is the correct path forward in this scenario.

    I hope these steps help you create a support ticket successfully and move closer to regaining access to your administrator account. While I’m not able to intervene directly, guiding you to the right support team is the most effective help I can provide here. 

    Hope you're able to get this resolved soon.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.