enable windows hello PIN when grayed out

Angie Cowey 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T14:16:54.9866667+00:00

I want to enable (remove) Hello PIN sign-in feature. There is a button that says "remove this sign-in option" but it's grayed out.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Angie Cowey 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T15:10:19.5233333+00:00

    ok, I will try this later. thanks for your help

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Angie Cowey 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T15:07:44.79+00:00

    I didn't get a response back

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Angie Cowey 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T15:00:56.17+00:00

    I just told you I did this & it was already marked as such. (First, go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in options, scroll down to mid page, Do you see "For improved security, only allow Windows Hello Sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended). " If so, make sure it is turned off before you can remove PIN.)

    What happens if I delete this work account? I'm afraid to delete it & mess up something else way more important. If that still doesn't work, Can you go to your Windows Settings > Accounts > Access Work or School (note, it is the briefcase icon, not the envelope or little person icon). Then see if the organization email address is still listed? If so, click on it and then disconnect it. Restart the computer and see if you can remove PIN.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. EmilyS726 271.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T14:54:48.36+00:00

    Hello,

    First, go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in options, scroll down to mid page, Do you see "For improved security, only allow Windows Hello Sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended). " If so, make sure it is turned off before you can remove PIN.

    If that still doesn't work, Can you go to your Windows Settings > Accounts > Access Work or School (note, it is the briefcase icon, not the envelope or little person icon). Then see if the organization email address is still listed? If so, click on it and then disconnect it. Restart the computer and see if you can remove PIN.

    If for any reason this still doesn't work or you cannot find the organization account, or the option to turn off requirement of Windows Hello, type "regedit" in the search on the taskbar to launch Registry Editor, then go to this folder on the left pane (use the little arrow on each folder to expand), and share a screenshot so I can review.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.