Need MFA Reset but how? Cannot sign in to access support

Cort Johnson 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T19:49:40.8466667+00:00

I am the only Global Admin for the HealthRisingME.onmicrosoft.com tenant. My MFA is corrupted and I cannot sign in. I need an MFA reset for the Global Admin account.

I have probably spent 20 hours trying to fix this. Chatbots are completely useless. At one point I actually got in touch with a person who promised to have Data Protection call me. They said they would send an email - which never arrived. Despite the fact that I have opened numerous support requests with the idiotic chatbot - none on are record.

With the MFA broken, I cannot sign in - so I cannot communicate with anyone....and I cannot find anyway to speak with anyone without being able to do that.

Despite the fact that MS says there is a data protection phone number and provides a link to it - there is no phone numer on that page.

This is the worst experience with any kind of support I have had in 40 years.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Cort Johnson 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T21:06:39.5133333+00:00

    They did phone me but did not leave an email - and when I phoned back, I was back in chatbot hell. The only way I was able to get in touch with them was through an exhaustive search, which finally ended in a human chat agent. I tried for several hours to duplicate that - but couldn't figure out how to do that again.

    I will try the temporary account - thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Hani-Ng 2,230 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-06T20:51:08.6266667+00:00

    Hi Cort Johnson

    Since you have already been referred to the Microsoft Data Protection team, you may need to allow some time for them to contact you. From what I’ve seen in similar situations, this team can be quite busy, so the callback may take around 3–10 business days. You can also keep an eye on your alternate email, including the junk/spam folder.

    If the phone support route is not helpful, another workaround you can consider is creating a temporary Microsoft 365 Business trial tenant and submitting a support request from its Admin Center.

    -Create a temporary Microsoft 365 tenant using a trial license: Go to Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing and click Try for free to set up a temporary Microsoft 365 tenant with a trial license.    

    -Use this new account to sign in to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and submit a support request on behalf of your primary (locked) account.   

    -Select the Help & support (headset) icon. If Support Assistant is enabled, turn it off > Type contact support in the search box > Select Contact support, then choose Phone or Email to submit your request.   

    (This method doesn't require you to use your new account for your business. Instead, it allows you to create a temporary global administrator account so you can submit a support request, as your original global administrator account is locked out due to issues with multi-factor authentication. The trial account is free for one month. Be sure to delete it after submitting your support request to avoid any automatic renewals or charges from Microsoft) 

    For further instructions, you can follow this guide: Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn.   

    In the request, simply explain that you created the temporary tenant only to contact support because you cannot access your original tenant, and ask for the case to be routed to the Data Protection team for MFA reset/account recovery.

    Please note that this forum is a peer-to-peer community, so while members can share advice and experiences, only members do not have access to internal databases or the ability to escalate cases directly to Microsoft’s internal teams. Therefore, please kindly contact the Microsoft Support team for the most efficient help.    

    I hope this information helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.