When creating an event in teams - I am unable to enable 'Teams Meeting' successfully

Claire 20 Reputation points
2026-10-06T18:45:25.2666667+00:00

I can successfully create an event as long as I do not enable 'Team Meeting' option - once I enable the option - if I attempt to send I receive the message 'We couldn't make this a Teams Meeting Something went wrong and we couldn't create a Teams meeeting link...' If I try to select Options I get a screen that won't populate. This is has been attempted via web browser (Edge) and in Teams app on Windows. I've tried restarting, I've tried creating events with participants, without particpants, with location, without location - no change. Any suggestions? (This is a new nonprofit account - so this first attempt to create meeting on the account - we possible something 'basic' needed in configuration is off.)

Thanks for any ideas!

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Schedule meetings
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Chris-D 1,860 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-06T19:23:42.2066667+00:00

Hi Claire,

Thank you for sharing the details of your situation. 

Since the issue occurs in both the Teams desktop app and the web browser, it is less likely to be caused by the local application or browser. As this is a new nonprofit account, the issue may be related to license provisioning, the Exchange Online mailbox, or the Teams meeting policy assigned to your account. 

Please ask your Microsoft 365 administrator to verify that: 

  • In Microsoft 365 Admin Center > Users > Active users > select your account > Licenses and apps. Confirm that Teams and Exchange Online are enabled. 
  • In Exchange Admin Center > Recipients > Mailboxes. Confirm that your mailbox is available. 
  • In Teams Admin Center > Users > Manage users > select your account > Policies. Confirm that the assigned meeting policy allows private meeting scheduling. 

If the account was created or licensed recently, allow some time for the Microsoft 365 services to finish provisioning, then sign out of Teams and Microsoft 365, close the browser and app, and sign back in. 

Should the issue continues after the administrator confirms that the license, mailbox, and meeting policy are configured correctly, your IT team can also raise a support ticket with Microsoft Support through the Microsoft 365 Admin Center for deeper investigation. They have access to backend configurations and can perform a more in-depth investigation. At the very least, they can provide the most effective workaround to ensure your experience remains smooth and secure.      

I hope this information helps move the case forward. Should you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to share them in the comment below. I'm very happy to help.  


If the answer is helpful, please click 'Yes' and kindly upvote it.  

Note: Follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable email notifications if you want to receive email notifications related to this topic.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Levi Cornwell 255 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T21:51:27.1033333+00:00

    Since the same error happens in both the Teams app and Edge, and this is a new nonprofit account, I’d check the Microsoft 365/Teams configuration before doing more local troubleshooting.

    One thing I’d verify is that Teams is enabled for the user’s account and that the user has the appropriate Teams license/service plan assigned. In the Microsoft 365 admin center, check Users > Active users > the affected user > Licenses and apps and make sure the Teams service is enabled.

    I’d also check the Teams meeting policy assigned to the user and confirm that creating/scheduling Teams meetings is allowed.

    Since the error specifically says Teams cannot create the meeting link and the Options page also fails to load, that could point to a backend/account configuration issue rather than a browser problem.

    If the license and Teams policy look correct, I’d try creating a Teams meeting directly from the Teams calendar. If that also fails, checking the account's Teams provisioning/service status would be the next step.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.