Reset MFA on my account

Kestutis N 20 Reputation points
2026-10-06T15:59:58.61+00:00

I am administrator of the tenant. I lost Microsoft Authenticator app and MFA. I am able to change password, but I can’t reset MFA. I can’t login and create a support ticket in Microsoft 365 admin center. I was calling to Business support phone, but it requires to enter 8-digit extension which I don’t know. I need to reset MFA on my account.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kestutis N 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T19:03:21.1066667+00:00

    Hi Emily,

    Thank you for your clarification.

    Before I create a new tenant, could you please help me understand one point?

    I had exactly the same situation earlier this year, in March 2026. At that time, I was also the only Global Administrator, I had lost access to Microsoft Authenticator after an iPhone factory reset, and I was unable to sign in to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

    However, on that occasion, I did not need to create a new tenant. A Microsoft Support representative contacted me directly by phone, verified my identity, and helped me restore access to my existing tenant.

    Could you please explain why the recovery process is different now? Has the Microsoft support procedure for this type of Global Administrator lockout changed since March 2026, or is there still a way to initiate the same recovery process without creating a new tenant?

    If there is any way to have my case routed directly to the appropriate Microsoft Support or Data Protection team, as happened previously, I would strongly prefer that option.

    Thank you for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Kestutis N 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T18:47:04.01+00:00

    I am the only Global Administrator. I lost MFA access after an iPhone factory reset. I need to create a service request and be connected to the Data Protection Team.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Kestutis N 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T17:09:51.6933333+00:00

    Thank you for your detailed response.

    I can confirm that there is no other Global Administrator in the tenant who can reset MFA for my account. Therefore, I need assistance from the Microsoft Data Protection team.

    I have already tried calling Microsoft Business Support in Lithuania. However, the automated system asks me to enter an 8-digit extension number, which I do not have, and I have not been able to reach a support agent.

    I would also like to mention that I had exactly the same issue earlier this year. The problem started after an iPhone factory reset, which caused me to lose access to the Microsoft Authenticator configuration. At that time, one of your Microsoft Support colleagues called me directly, verified my identity, and helped me restore access successfully.

    My current situation is essentially the same: after another iPhone factory reset, I lost access to Microsoft Authenticator and can no longer complete MFA for my administrator account.

    Could you please advise whether there is a direct way to open a case with the Data Protection team or a private channel where I can provide my tenant, administrator account and billing verification details?

    As this is a public forum, I do not want to publish any account, tenant or billing information here.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Emily T 565 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-06T16:54:48.86+00:00

    Please note that forum moderators do not have access to user account settings and cannot assist with logging in, resetting passwords, or changing access rights. While we do not have access to internal systems or administrative tools required to resolve account-specific or backend-related issues, but we’ll continue doing our best to support you within the scope of our responsibilities.   


    Hi @Kestutis N

    I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re currently unable to sign in.

    Please check whether there is another IT administrator in your organization who can assist you with resetting the MFA settings for your account. If another administrator is available, you can share the steps outlined in the following article with them: Manage user authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication. This will help them assist you in resetting your MFA settings and restoring access to your account. 

    Once the MFA settings have been reset, the next time you sign in, you should be prompted to set up the Microsoft Authenticator app again. You can then complete the registration process from the beginning, including scanning a new QR code. This should help resolve the authentication loop and allow you to access your account normally.

    However, if your account is an administrator account and there are no other Global Administrators available in your tenant to assist with the MFA reset, you will need to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. In this case, please locate the appropriate support phone number for your region here: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)   

    IVR: What kind of problem are you concerned about?   

    You: Authenticator.   

    A: What products do you use?   

    You: Office 365 for business.

    Verification: Education or company account?   

    You: For companies

    IVR: Are you an administrator?    

    You: Yes.

    IVR: Are there any other administrators in your organization?    

    You: No.

    IVR: Do you need a... Service request?    

    You: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me directly to the Data Protection Team.    

    • Create a new tenant to submit a support ticket:

    If you are unable to reach a live support agent, as an alternative, you may consider creating a new tenant by signing up for a trial subscription. Once the new tenant is set up, you can use it to submit a support request for further assistance.   

    To set up a new tenant, please follow these steps below:

    Visit Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing | Microsoft 365. This would allow you to create a new tenant following the prompts provided. Once set up, you can access the admin console of the new tenant and submit a support ticket requesting to speak with the Data Protection team on behalf of your previous tenant.      

    Follow the guided setup process to create a new account for a new tenant.  

    Once your tenant is created, you should be able to access the support portal and submit your ticket referencing your locked account without further issues

    In your ticket description, you'll need to clearly explain that you're trying to regain access to your previous Microsoft 365 tenant and need help from the Data Protection team. Here's a message you can use or adapt:  

    "Hello, I’m currently unable to access my previous Microsoft 365 tenant due to losing MFA access.

    I created this new tenant solely to request assistance. I kindly ask to be connected with the Data Protection team to verify my identity and help me recover access to the original tenant.  

    This is urgent, as I rely on Microsoft 365 for my work and have been unable to operate for several days. I’m available to provide any documentation or verification needed to support the recovery process."  

    Ticket Support: In the Microsoft 365 Admin Center > Support > Help & Support. You can raise support ticket at https://admin.microsoft.com/#/support/requests    

    Please remember to cancel the trial subscription after your issue is resolved, as this will help you avoid any accidental billing. You may prefer the following resource for detailed instructions: Cancel your Microsoft business subscription in the Microsoft 365 admin center | Microsoft Learn

    I hope this helps you regain access to your account quickly. I'm glad to assist and truly hope the information provided has been useful. Please feel free to reach out anytime if you need further assistance. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.