My domain cnetlab.com is incorrectly associated with an unknown managed Entra tenant

Godwin Dsouza 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T02:46:00.4766667+00:00

I own the domain cnetlab.com and need to add it to my Microsoft Entra tenant.

My Entra tenant ID is: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]

Microsoft Entra will not verify the domain. Public DNS ownership is confirmed:

cnetlab.com TXT "[Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]"

Running the Microsoft userrealm endpoint returns:

NameSpaceType: Managed DomainName: cnetlab.com FederationBrandName: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]

The domain is associated with another tenant:

[Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]

I do not own or have access to the CompuNet Labs tenant.

Please advise how I can have cnetlab.com released from the inaccessible managed tenant so I can verify it in my tenant.

I can provide proof of domain ownership and DNS verification. 

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Michelle Nguyen 1,940 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-06T05:29:59.64+00:00

    I’m only a fellow community user and not a Microsoft employee, so I don’t have access to the affected tenants or Microsoft’s internal systems.

    Hi @Godwin Dsouza

    Thank you for providing the details. I understand that you own cnetlab.com and can prove ownership through DNS, but Microsoft Entra reports that the domain is already associated with another managed tenant that you do not own or have access to.

    Microsoft’s self-service admin takeover process is specifically intended for domains held by an unmanaged Microsoft Entra directory. The documentation states that if you cannot access an unmanaged directory, an external admin takeover may be available. However, this guidance does not establish a self-service takeover path for a domain already attached to an inaccessible managed tenant.

    Ref: Take over an unmanaged directory as administrator in Microsoft Entra ID

    In your situation, the appropriate next step is therefore to open a Microsoft support request in Admin Center and ask for the case to be escalated as a custom-domain release or tenant recovery issue.

    I would not recommend repeatedly changing the TXT record or attempting forced takeover commands without Microsoft’s guidance. The existing record can prove DNS control, but release from an inaccessible managed tenant requires Microsoft to review the tenant and ownership evidence.

    I hope this helps you get the case routed to the appropriate team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.