OneDrive Photos Archiving

Tom 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T23:56:10.7233333+00:00

I switched over from Google Drive and I need some assistance on sorting my photos. I have over 100,000 pics/videos. When I was using Google Photos, once I add the photos into an album I usually archived them. The photos then disappear from the gallery. This way I know where I left off and I'm not re-adding again. Does OneDrive Photos have this feature. I have been searching for days and I can't find anything. Or does anyone have a good suggestion how I can manage my photos? Long story short, I want to add my photos to an album and then hide the photos so I know they are done.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Xavier-D 13,745 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-06T04:44:40.33+00:00

    Hello Tom

    I understand why this is important when managing such a large photo library. Unfortunately, OneDrive currently does not provide an Archive option that keeps a photo in an album while removing it from the main Gallery.

    Please do not delete the photos from Gallery as a workaround, because this sends the actual files to the Recycle Bin and also removes them from their albums.

    I suggest you submit feedback to recommend Microsoft to add this feature. You can submit them here:

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/e3f04660-2c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472

    Hopefully Microsoft will consider adding a true archive or “hide from Gallery” option in a future update. Have a nice day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-05T23:56:26.6966667+00:00

    OneDrive Photos does not have a documented archive feature like Google Photos that hides items from the main gallery after they are added to an album.

    What OneDrive does support:

    1. Albums
      • Photos can be added to a new or existing album.
      • Albums are collections for organizing and sharing photos.
    2. Gallery and Photos view behavior
      • The Photos/Gallery experience is an aggregated view that shows photos from OneDrive, typically in a timeline.
      • Albums are also aggregated views, not separate folders.
    3. Moving files for organization
      • If the goal is to mark photos as already processed, the practical OneDrive approach is to move those files into a dedicated folder structure in Files view rather than relying on Photos view.
      • Photos cannot be moved directly from Photo view. They must be found in Files view and moved from their actual folder location.

    A workable way to manage 100,000+ photos in OneDrive:

    1. Create an album for the set being organized.
    2. After adding those photos to the album, go to OneDrive on the web → My files or use File Explorer if OneDrive is synced.
    3. Move the same files into a folder such as:
      • Processed
      • Archived to album
      • yearly/monthly subfolders
    4. Continue working only from the remaining unprocessed folder(s).

    Important limitation:

    • Moving photos to another folder does not hide them from the OneDrive Photos/Gallery view if they are still in OneDrive, because that view aggregates photos from various folder locations.

    If the goal is specifically “add to album, then hide from gallery,” the provided documentation does not show a built-in OneDrive feature that does that.

    Useful alternatives from the documented features:

    • Use search to find photos by content or location.
    • Use Filter in Gallery to narrow what is shown.
    • Use a folder-based workflow in Files view for tracking what has already been handled.
    • On Windows, add local folders to Gallery if needed, but showing a folder in This PC does not upload it to OneDrive.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.