Windows Startup Repair requires MS password. I can login via a one-time code to my email, but don't have password. What next?

S 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T20:22:32.1633333+00:00

Hi! Upon booting up, my laptop got stuck in an endless disk-checking loop, with restarts failing to fix it. I went into the Startup Repair option, which asked for my recovery key and (what I presume is) my Microsoft account's password.

I can successfully login to my Microsoft account by asking for a single-use code to be sent to my email, which is how I got my recovery key.

However, I don't remember my current password. On the Startup Repair screen, there are no other authentication options.

The Microsoft support auto-guide suggested resetting my password, but I'm worried that too many password attempts or setting a brand new password, will permanently lock me out of finishing Startup Repair. I can't find any way to contact support for my account. How do I proceed?

Thanks for reading!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,730 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T22:58:06.5933333+00:00

    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Before suggesting the next recovery step, could you please clarify a few things?

    Which version of Windows is installed, Windows 10 or Windows 11? Before this problem started, how did you normally sign in to Windows — with a PIN, fingerprint/Windows Hello, or your Microsoft account password?

    On the Startup Repair screen, does it display the same Microsoft account/email address that you successfully accessed online? Have you ever configured your Microsoft account as passwordless, or do you simply no longer remember the password?

    After entering the BitLocker recovery key, what is the exact wording of the screen asking for the password? If possible, please share a photo of that screen with your email address and recovery key hidden.

    Can you still access Troubleshoot > Advanced options and see options such as Startup Settings, System Restore, Uninstall Updates, or Command Prompt? Did the disk-checking/restart loop begin after an update, unexpected shutdown, or any warning about the SSD/hard drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.