Microsoft 365 features that help users manage their subscriptions, account settings, and billing information.
For a work or school account, this usually means the only registered sign-in method was the old Authenticator session, so the app is asking for verification that it can no longer provide.
Try these steps first:
- Open Microsoft Authenticator manually, not just the phone notification.
- If the sign-in page shows a number, open the app and look for a matching prompt.
- If prompted, unlock the app first, then enter or tap the matching number and approve.
- Check common causes of failed prompts:
- Make sure the app is unlocked.
- Make sure notifications are enabled and not silent.
- Make sure the phone has internet access; switching between Wi‑Fi and mobile data can help.
- Make sure the device date and time are correct.
- Update Microsoft Authenticator to the latest version.
- Restart the phone and try again.
- If the sign-in error is temporary, wait a few minutes and retry.
- If Authenticator shows an error such as “Something went wrong. [4s8qz]”, Microsoft recommends retrying, updating the app, and restarting the device.
- If another sign-in method is available, use it.
- Work or school accounts can have multiple sign-in methods.
- After access is restored, add another method at
https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-infoso this does not happen again.
- If the app was signed out on a new phone or no prompt/code ever appears, this is usually not self-service.
- The organization’s IT admin needs to reset the MFA methods so Authenticator can be registered again.
- If repeated sign-in attempts were made, Microsoft Entra MFA may temporarily block more attempts; wait and try again later, or use a different MFA method if available.
- If all troubleshooting fails:
- In Authenticator, open the top-level menu and select Send feedback to capture logs.
- Then contact the organization’s IT admin or helpdesk.
If this account belongs to a tenant where there is no other admin and access is completely locked out, the documented guidance in similar Microsoft support cases is to contact Microsoft support by phone so a support ticket can be routed appropriately.
- Authentication did not complete
- Troubleshoot problems with Microsoft Authenticator
- Sign in using Microsoft Authenticator
- Sign in to your work or school account using two-step verification
- Common problems with two-step verification for a work or school account
- Cannot sign back into authenticator app - Microsoft Q&A I have been signed out of my work email account in my authenticator app after I got a new phone, and I can't sign back in because the only available way to verify my account in the app is getting a code in the authenticator app itself, so it's impossible for me get any codes. I no longer have access to the old phone with the authenticator app that I used to verify my account either.
- New Phone and Authenticator App - Microsoft Q&A I just got a new phone and my Authenticator app is not allowing me to sign in to accounts I need to use for work.
- I cannot login to outlook on ios device as microsoft authenticator is not working. - Microsoft Q&A I have a new iphone and when i try to log in to outlook on the new device, it is asking me to enter the code generated from microsoft authenticator but authenticator is not generating a code even though it says this email address is connected in authenticator.