Sole Global Administrator locked out due to MFA – Tenant Recovery needed

Anas 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T12:25:50.7766667+00:00

Hello, I am the only Global Administrator for our Microsoft 365 business tenant.

I lost access to the old phone that had Microsoft Authenticator, and I cannot complete MFA on my new phone. There is no other Global Administrator in the tenant who can reset or re-register my MFA methods.

I cannot access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center to open a support request. I already contacted Microsoft Support through chat, but the issue was not resolved and I was directed to Microsoft 365 business support.

I need assistance with a Microsoft Entra tenant lockout / Tenant Admin Recovery and escalation to the Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team.

I can verify ownership of the organization, domain, subscription, and billing information privately with Microsoft Support when requested.

Please advise how I can have a support case opened and escalated for recovery of the sole Global Administrator accoun

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. BabybooHN 3,290 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T12:37:06.4766667+00:00

    Dear @Anas

    I understand that you are the only Global Administrator, and you have lost access to the Microsoft Authenticator method registered to your previous phone. Since there is no other Global Administrator who can reset your authentication methods, this is a tenant lockout scenario.

    Unfortunately, there is no self-service way to bypass or reset MFA in this situation. Microsoft Q&A cannot directly reset MFA or restore administrator access. Microsoft Support must verify your identity and tenant ownership before recovery can be performed.

    I recommend contacting Microsoft Support by phone and explicitly requesting that a support case be opened and escalated to the Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team.

    From what I know, you will need to get past the initial AI system to reach the live support team. You can refer to the guide below for tips on how to get through more easily:User's imageIf you have tried phone support and it's not working, please follow this link to create a trial tenant after that you will be able to access to Microsoft 365 Admin Center to raise the ticket

    Assuming that you have already created an account after registering a free trial and you can go to Microsoft 365 admin center and click "Help & support" icon to raise your ticket.      

    User's image

    Please mention that you are raising ticket on behalf of the affected tenant that you do not have access to.

    On the other hand, if you do create the trial and it resolves the issue, please remember to cancel the subscription afterward to avoid any related charges. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.