Sole Global Administrator locked out of Microsoft 365 tenant due to MFA / Authenticator issue

Roy Kanerva 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T12:25:10.6966667+00:00

I am the sole Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 Business tenant (fppromeus.onmicrosoft.com), and I am completely locked out due to an MFA / Microsoft Authenticator issue.

The administrator account is still visible in the Microsoft Authenticator app, but I do not receive any approval notifications. The sign-in process offers only two options: approve the request in Microsoft Authenticator or use a verification code. However, no verification code is available for this account in the Authenticator app.

There are no alternative authentication methods available at sign-in and there are no other administrators in the tenant who can reset my MFA authentication methods.

I have also tried contacting Microsoft support by phone in Finland. The toll-free support number disconnects after selecting business support, and I have therefore been unable to open a support case through that route. I also cannot open a Microsoft 365 Admin Center support request because accessing the Admin Center requires the same MFA authentication that is preventing me from signing in.

I need assistance with a Global Administrator MFA reset / tenant recovery and, if necessary, escalation to the Microsoft Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team.

Could a Microsoft moderator please advise how I can open or escalate a support case when I am the sole Global Administrator and cannot authenticate to the tenant?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Jayden-P 3,210 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-05T12:29:27.3966667+00:00

Please note that this forum is not Microsoft support, this is a user-to-user support forum. Therefore, I cannot directly escalate this for you. However, I can guide you how to contact Data Protection team.

Hi @Roy Kanerva

In this situation, you will need to contact Data Protection team. They can help you regain access to your tenant.

I know you have tried phone support, please try again with the script below. Please visit the following page and reach out to phone number via: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support

From what I know, you will need to get past the initial AI system to reach the live support team. You can refer to the guide below for tips on how to get through more easily:User's image

If you have tried phone support and it's not working, please follow this link to create a trial tenant: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/business/microsoft-365-business-basic?msockid=3eb6980b5c6860e63a588d0c5d1761d6 - after that you will be able to access to Microsoft 365 Admin Center to raise the ticket

Assuming that you have already created an account after registering a free trial and you can go to Microsoft 365 admin center and click "Help & support" icon to raise your ticket.      

User's image

Please mention that you are raising ticket on behalf of the affected tenant that you do not have access to.

On the other hand, if you do create the trial and it resolves the issue, please remember to cancel the subscription afterward to avoid any related charges. 

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Roy Kanerva 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T13:22:02.95+00:00

    Thank you, Jayden. The trial tenant workaround worked.

    I created a temporary Microsoft 365 Business trial tenant, accessed the Admin Center through it, and was able to open a support case for the locked tenant. The case is now open and waiting to be assigned to a support representative.

    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.