I cannot log into Authenticator, stuck in a loop

Tallie 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T12:20:25.3+00:00

I recently started a new university and added that account to authenticator. When I open the Authenticator app, it requires me to sign into my new uni account. However, whenever I do it puts me in a loop where it will give me a sign in code to open on authenticator, then does not proceed to let me enter said code.

Whenever I try to refresh the code, it doesn't do anything.

When I press "I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator right now", it tells me to verify via 2 options:

  • approve a request on my Microsoft authenticator app
  • use a verification code

Approving the code puts me back onto the same screen, only with a different code.

when I try to use the verification code, no codes work. I try the ones from the sign in code page, it is invalid.

Eventually, it will say request denied and then I will be put back into the same loop as before.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Demi Nguyen 2,330 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T12:44:43.7+00:00

    Hello Tallie,

    Thank you for explaining the issue.

    Since this is a university-managed account and both available verification options currently depend on Microsoft Authenticator, please contact your university’s IT department or Microsoft 365 administrator.

    Ask the administrator to remove the existing Microsoft Authenticator registration and require you to re-register multi-factor authentication for your account. After the reset is completed, you should be prompted to set up Microsoft Authenticator again using a new QR code. They can do this by following these steps:  

    • Signing in to the Microsoft Entra Admin Center  
    • Navigating to Users > Your Account > Authentication methods  
    • Selecting Require re-register MFA  

    Once this is completed, you will be prompted to set up MFA again during your next login, allowing you to configure Microsoft Authenticator on your device.

    User's image

    You can share the following Microsoft guidance with the administrator: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication

    If you are unsure who your IT administrator is, you can refer to this official Microsoft guide for assistance: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support  

    User's image

    Please contact your school’s IT team as soon as possible, as they are the only ones who can perform this reset. Once they have completed the process, try signing in again and let us know if you need further guidance.  

    Best regards,  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.