A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
For Office Home and Business 2021 for Mac, sign-in is not normally required just to use the one-time purchase license. If Word is freezing with a spinning wheel when trying to sign in, use this order:
- In Word, open Word > About Microsoft Word.
- Check the Belongs to: line.
- Select More Info > Refresh License.
- If prompted, sign in with the Microsoft account associated with the Office purchase.
If Word still freezes or the sign-in window does not complete:
- Quit all Office apps.
- Open Keychain Access.
- Search for Office and Microsoft and remove related Office/Microsoft credential items.
- Reopen Word and try again.
If the problem continues, use the official Mac license reset path:
- Run the License Removal Tool for Mac.
- Restart the Mac after it finishes.
- Open Word and sign in again with the account that has the Office license.
If that still does not fix it:
- Create a new macOS user account and test Word there. This helps confirm whether the issue is tied to the current macOS profile.
- If the issue also happens in the new profile, uninstall Office for Mac and reinstall it from the Microsoft account Services & subscriptions area.
For repeated sign-in prompts or Authentication Expired behavior on Mac, reset keychain permissions using the Microsoft guidance for Office for Mac repeatedly requesting keychain access.
- Microsoft Office stopped letting me edit. Requires Office 365 to edit - Microsoft Q&A I purchased Office Home & Business 2021 for Mac in 2023. I have been using this with no issue.
- I cannot sign in to any of the office apps (excel , word and ppt) - Microsoft Q&A When I click activate / sign in - nothing happens except a blank screen that wont load
- Unable to login in Office Solutions - Microsoft Q&A I am not able to login in Microsoft 365 neither Excel or Word in my macOS. The software returns an unexpected error. What can I do about that?
- What to try if you can't install or activate Office for Mac