Sole Global Administrator locked out due to MFA – Data Protection / Tenant Recovery required

Przemysław Lipka 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T18:38:26.4766667+00:00

I am the sole Global Administrator of the Microsoft 365 / Microsoft Entra tenant associated with the domain kpzkosz.com.

My administrator account is [[Moderator note: personally identifiable Information removed]@kpzkosz.com].

I know my password and it is accepted correctly. However, I cannot complete MFA because the mobile phone containing my registered Microsoft Authenticator has suffered a hardware failure (the display and touchscreen are not operational).

During sign-in, the only verification methods offered are:

  • Approve a request in Microsoft Authenticator
  • Use a verification code from Microsoft Authenticator

Both methods require access to the Authenticator app on the damaged phone. No SMS, phone call, security key, or other alternative authentication method is available.

I have Microsoft Authenticator installed on a new phone, but I cannot register it because doing so requires authentication using the old MFA method.

There are no other Global Administrators in the tenant who can reset my authentication methods. Therefore, I am completely locked out of both the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and Microsoft Entra Admin Center.

I still have full control over the kpzkosz.com domain and its DNS records and can verify domain ownership by adding a DNS record if required. I can also provide tenant, subscription, billing and organization information privately for verification.

Please create/escalate a support case to the Microsoft Data Protection / Tenant Recovery Team for recovery of the sole Global Administrator account and reset of the MFA registration.

Please let me know how I can provide the required information through a private channel.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jay1 Tran 1,620 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-04T20:18:27.74+00:00

    Hi Przemysław,

    I hope you're doing well.

    I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re currently unable to sign in. If your account is also an admin account and there are no other available global administrators in your tenant, then the only way to regain access is contact Microsoft support. Please try locating the appropriate hotline for your region here: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

    In this situation, the Microsoft Data Protection team has tools and processes in place to verify identity and regain access to administrator accounts. 

    Here are some tips and an example of a prompt to help you navigate the IVR more effectively: 

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)   

    In some regions, the initial interaction may be automated, so here’s a general idea of how the conversation might go to help you prepare:     

    • What kind of problem are you experiencing?        
    • Answer: Authenticator        
    • What products do you use?        
    • Answer: Office 365 for business        
    • Is this for an education or company account?        
    • Answer: For companies        
    • Are you an administrator?        
    • Answer: Yes        
    • Are there any other administrators in your organization?        
    • Answer: No. I am the only admin in my tenant         
    • Do you need a... Service request?         
    • Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me direct to the Data Protection Teams.     

    During the phone call, you will need to provide the information associated with your subscription, such as your company name, billing details, phone number, and an alternate email address, etc. This information allows the Data Protection team to verify your identity and securely assist you in regaining access to your administrator account.     

     

    I also recommend calling during business hours. In my experience, it can be difficult to get through to the correct support queue, and automated systems don't always work as expected. If you can't get through on your first try, I suggest trying again later or at a different time.

     

    I know being locked out of the only admin account can be stressful, but contacting the Data Protection team is the correct path forward in this scenario.

    I hope these steps help you create a support ticket successfully and move closer to regaining access to your administrator account. While I’m not able to intervene directly, guiding you to the right support team is the most effective help I can provide here. 

    Hope you're able to get this resolved soon.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.