Turning OneDrive backup off and on

QLad 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T17:03:48.0066667+00:00

I use Windows 11 on a PC. I synced my computer to OneDrive to backup my files. However, I want to access my files locally (i.e., on my computer) rather than via the OneDrive>Name Personal path so that I can work on files even when offline. Yet right now, I can't find any documents on my computer; all are accessed vial that OneDrive path. So here are my questions:

When I turn off the Desktop folder in Manage Backup (within the OneDrive Settings menu), for example, I get a pop-up box that asks "Stop backing up Desktop folder?" and then gives me two options: 1) Continue backing up (recommended) and 2) Stop backup and choose where to keep files.

So, my two questions:

  1. If I want to access my files locally instead of always through the OneDrive>Name Personal path, where would I choose to keep the files if I selected option 2 above?
  2. Could I periodically turn the folder back on in Manage Backup in order to have new/updated files backed up and, if so, would OneDrive back up ONLY those files, or would it start from scratch and backup everything in the folder (including files that have already been backed up)?
Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-04T17:04:05.06+00:00
    1. If Stop backup and choose where to keep files is selected, the files can be kept only on the PC instead of in OneDrive. In OneDrive folder backup settings, the stop-backup choices are:
      • Keep the files only in OneDrive, which removes them from the computer, or
      • Keep the files only on my PC, which removes them from OneDrive.
      If the goal is local access through normal PC folders instead of the OneDrive\... path, choose Keep the files only on my PC. Important details:
      • If a folder contains cloud-only files, they must be downloaded first by changing them to Always keep on this device.
      • If files were already backed up and the folder is no longer being backed up, they do not automatically return to the original device folder in every case. Files may need to be moved manually from the OneDrive folder back to the local device folder.
    2. The context confirms that folder backup can be turned on again later from OneDrive Settings > Sync and backup > Manage backup by selecting a folder that is Not backed up and saving the change. The context does not state whether turning backup back on later uploads only new or changed files versus re-backing up the entire folder from scratch.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. Craig Long 18,645 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T19:50:49.01+00:00

    Cloud files may take precedence when syncing to OneDrive, although I haven't seen any documentation about this. Outdated cloud files may overwrite local versions with the same name. I've seen forum complaints about this happening.

    My suggestion is that if you work on a file without internet access, either:

    1. Remove the file from OneDrive to work on it, or
    2. Give the most recent file version a unique name before re-entering it in OneDrive, or
    3. Delete the older file in OneDrive before entering the updated version.

    I would feel safer doing it this way. I don't suggest turning off folder backup unless you intend not to use OneDrive.

    If you keep files on a drive other than the (C:) drive and then periodically back them up to OneDrive using unique names, then that would work. Only files on the (C:) drive can automatically back up to OneDrive.

    I hope this information helps.

    Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Craig Long 18,645 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T20:18:47.7733333+00:00

    If you want to back up everything across multiple devices, think of OneDrive as your main file repository to reduce the chance of mistakes.

    In my opinion, the answer to number 2 is NO; you will probably get duplicates, since you can't "sync" new file versions with much older file versions. However, you can always "back up" files with the same name by putting them in uniquely named folders.

    Answer to number 1: If you don't intend to use OneDrive, and with folder backup OFF, your new files will go to the default location going forward. The new path names would bypass the OneDrive folder, such as:

    C:\Users\username\Documents instead of C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Documents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.