Visio technical problem

Wing Keung LEE 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T13:47:11.1733333+00:00

I am the user of Visio Plan 2.

In the function "Field", it provide function to follow defined information automatically.
However, how does "Field" also work to show the information "counting #" for layers?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Visio | Other | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Michelle Nguyen 1,835 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-04T14:37:54.9433333+00:00

    Hi @Wing Keung LEE

    I'm just a fellow user, so please treat this as the result of one quick test rather than a definitive answer.

    I set up a simple page with 4 shapes assigned to two layers (TestLayer and TestLayer2). Two of the shapes had a date Field inserted through Insert > Field. I've attached screenshots of the page and the Layer Properties dialog.

    IMG_8961 In Layer Properties, the # column showed 4, which matches the 4 shapes on the page. The # value looked the same with and without the Field in the shapes. From this test, the # count didn't seem to take the Field into account at all. It only seemed to follow which shapes are assigned to the layer. This is only what I saw in my own test, so I can't say it holds in every case.

    I'm still not completely sure what you want to achieve, so a bit more detail would let me test more closely:

    1. What should the Field display: the number of shapes on a layer, the number of layers on the page, or something else?
    2. Where do you want it to appear (inside a shape, in a title block, etc.)?
    3. Which Visio version are you using, and what did you try in Insert > Field so far? A screenshot of your Layer Properties dialog would also help.

    Please let me know more details.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.