Microsoft Authenticator is not generating a one-time code for my work account — unable to sign in

Metuschelah Similien 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T04:35:11.0833333+00:00

Hello,

I’m having an issue with Microsoft Authenticator and urgently need help accessing my professional/work account.

One of my accounts in Microsoft Authenticator is not generating or displaying the one-time verification code ever since I added it to the app. Because there is no code available, I’m unable to complete the sign-in process and access my work application/account.

The problem is that I also cannot remove, reset, or reconfigure the Authenticator account because I need to authenticate first, which leaves me completely locked out.

This is my professional work account, and I need access to it for work. I would really appreciate any guidance on how I can regain access or reset the Microsoft Authenticator verification method without being able to sign in.

What I have tried:

Opening Microsoft Authenticator and checking the affected account

Attempting to sign in again

Checking whether a one-time verification code appears

Trying to manage/remove the account from Authenticator

However, the verification code still does not appear.

How can I regain access to my work account or reset the Authenticator verification method when I cannot complete the required verification?

Thank you for any help or guidance.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Heimerdinger 630 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-04T04:46:34.5166667+00:00

    Hi @Metuschelah Similien, 

    Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Q&A forum. 

    I’m very sorry to hear about your situation. Regarding that you’re unable to log in to your account.          

    If you are an end user I would recommend you contact your account's Admin to reset your MFA settings through the Microsoft Entra Admin Center. Ask your administrator to follow these steps:                  

    Revoke MFA sessions and require re-register in the Microsoft Entra admin center         

    1. Sign in to Microsoft Entra admin center with the admin account   
    2. Go to Users   
    3. Select the affected user account   
    4. Open Authentication methods   
    5. Revoke sessions   
    6. Select Require re‑register MFA   
    7. Save the changes                 

    Revoke MFA sessions and require re-register in the Microsoft Entra admin center                

     User's image

      

    You could provide your admin this article for a better view: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication - Microsoft Entra ID |…               

    If you’re unsure who the Global Admin is within your organization, you can find guidance on locating them here: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support.                  

    Thank you again for your time and understanding. I really appreciate your patience, and I’m here to help. Looking forward to your response.                       

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-04T04:35:29.3433333+00:00

    For a work account, there is no supported way to generate codes if the Authenticator registration for that account is broken or missing in the app. The supported recovery path is:

    1. On the sign-in screen, try a different verification method if one is available.
      • Look for another MFA option already registered on the account.
      • If repeated sign-in attempts were made, stop retrying. Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication can temporarily block additional attempts after unusual activity. Wait and then try again, or use a different MFA method.
    2. In Microsoft Authenticator, check the basics for the affected account.
      • Make sure the app opens normally and the account is still listed.
      • Update Microsoft Authenticator from the device app store.
      • Restart the device.
      • Make sure the app is unlocked, notifications are enabled, the device has internet access, and date/time settings are correct.
    3. If no alternate sign-in method works, contact the organization’s IT administrator or helpdesk.
      • Ask them to reset the MFA methods for the work account so MFA can be registered again.
      • If suspicious activity is possible, ask the IT administrator to review the Microsoft Entra sign-in logs.
    4. After access is restored, re-register Microsoft Authenticator for the work account and add another verification method as backup if the organization allows it.

    If the issue is specifically a temporary Authenticator failure such as the app not responding correctly, Microsoft documents these steps in order: wait a moment and retry, confirm the app launches without errors and the account is listed, update the app, check Company Portal compliance on work/school devices, and restart the device. If that still fails, send logs from Authenticator using Send feedback and then reach out to the IT admin.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.