Hi, i need some help please.

James Bils 20 Reputation points
2026-10-03T19:22:15.8+00:00

Today I woke up and turned on my pc as usual. This time it sent me to a screen saying you're device ran into a problem and couldn't be repaired. I clicked enter like it said and went to command prompt after following 2 videos saying the same thing, and I input sfc /scannow. It says "windows protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." And that the system files repair changes will take effect after the next reboot, but I don't think it did because I'm in the same spot, again. What do I do? I tried resetting it too and it said it ran into a problem.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Ian-T 13,200 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-10-03T23:57:04.9366667+00:00

Hi @James Bils

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. The SFC message means it repaired some Windows files, but the startup problem may involve the boot configuration, a recent update, or the drive itself.

From the recovery screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options, then try these options in order:

  1. Startup Repair
  2. Uninstall Updates > Uninstall latest quality update
  3. System Restore, if a restore point is available

Startup Repair is designed to address damaged system files and boot configuration problems.

If none of those work, use another computer to create Windows installation media on a USB drive. Boot the affected PC from it and first select Repair your computer. If recovery still fails, you may need to reinstall Windows. Back up important files first if possible, because some recovery or installation choices can erase data.

Also, if BitLocker appears, you will need the recovery key.

Hope this helps, please feel free to let me know if you need any further assistance

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.