Can't access files locally while syncing to OneDrive

QLad 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T12:53:56.0866667+00:00

OneDrive is taking forever to sync all my files (5% synced after 24 hours). But that is not what troubles me. I can't access my files locally. If I click on the Documents folder in File Explorer, the path it shows is OneDrive>QLad Personal>Documents. If I go to This Computer>Local Disk (C:)>Documents, only one of my many subfolders appears. Why? And if I quit and cancel OneDrive while it is syncing, will all my files reappear on my local disk in File Explorer?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 270.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-03T13:30:10.7166667+00:00

    Hello

    If you want your files to come back to local path instead of nesting in OneDrive folder, you need to go to OneDrive app settings > Sync and backup tab > Manage backup, and turn off those folders.

    Restart the computer, and the folders should go back to local path.

    If any files are missing after that, you can download them from www.onedrive.com > My files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.