Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows Windows for home | Windows

luurrvf s 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T08:16:13.6566667+00:00

I changed the email and security info on my Microsoft account (Minecraft Java Edition is linked to it). I signed out by accident and now I can't remember the new email address I set.

I added a backup email and I still have access to it. When I try to recover the account with it, Microsoft says two accounts are linked to that backup email. The one I need is masked, and the recovery page asks me to type the full address. I can't remember it.

Is there any way to find out the full address, or to recover the account through the backup email without it? I already checked my backup inbox, saved passwords and history in Edge, and the recovery form.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-03T08:16:29.8433333+00:00

    There is no supported way to reveal the full masked Microsoft account address from the backup email alone.

    What is supported:

    1. Try to identify the username from devices or apps where the account was previously signed in:
      • Windows 10/11: Start > Settings > Accounts. Under Email & app accounts, check the usernames associated with the device.
      • Office apps: Open Word or Excel, then File > Account. Under Product Information, look for Belongs to.
      • Email accounts: Search the backup inbox and other mailboxes for Microsoft purchase receipts, subscription emails, or account notifications.
      • Xbox: If the same account was used there, check the Xbox account email walkthrough.
    2. If an alternate sign-in address was ever added, try signing in with that address. Microsoft notes that an account can have aliases, and any alias can be used to sign in.
    3. If the sign-in page shows “Which account do you want to use?”, that can mean both a personal Microsoft account and a work or school account use the same email address. In that case, select the correct account type.
    4. Use the Microsoft Sign-in Helper. It is the recommended tool for most Microsoft account sign-in problems and forgotten account details.
    5. If the account still cannot be identified, contact Microsoft Support. Support can route the case to the best option, but support agents are not allowed to send password reset links or access and change account details.

    Because the recovery flow requires the full account address, the practical path is to first recover or rediscover the username from a signed-in device, Office app, receipts, or another alias.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.