I lost access to Microsoft Authenticator

Dasun Chamara 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T04:21:44.7466667+00:00

I have already contacted Microsoft Support by phone regarding this issue. I explained that I am the Global Administrator of our Microsoft 365 tenant and that I lost access to Microsoft Authenticator, leaving me unable to complete MFA.

Our Microsoft 365 partner has also confirmed that there is currently no GDAP relationship with our tenant, so they are unable to perform the required backend MFA reset.

During my previous call with Microsoft Support, the issue was discussed and I was told that a support request would be created. However, I was not provided with a Service Request/Case Reference number, and I have not received any confirmation email. They still not reponse me to Reset MFA on my global admin account

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Dora-T 1,130 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-03T05:12:13.01+00:00

    Hi @Dasun Chamara

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum, and I’m not a Microsoft Support representative. I don’t have access to Microsoft’s internal systems to check or manage your support request or reset MFA. I can only provide information and troubleshooting guidance based on publicly available resources.

    Since you have already contacted Microsoft Support by phone but have not received a Service Request/Case Reference number or confirmation email, you can consider directly submitting a support request as a helpful workaround:     

    -Create a temporary Microsoft 365 tenant using a trial license: Go to Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing and click Try for free to set up a temporary Microsoft 365 tenant with a trial license.    

    -Use this new account to sign in to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and submit a support request on behalf of the affected tenant.

    -Select the Help & support (headset) icon >If Support Assistant is enabled, turn it off >Type contact support in the search box >Select Contact support, then choose Phone or Email to submit your request.

    When contacting Support, please explain that you are the Global Administrator of the affected Microsoft 365 tenant, but you have lost access to Microsoft Authenticator and are therefore unable to complete MFA.

    Note: This method doesn't require you to use your new account for your business. Instead, it allows you to create a temporary global administrator account so you can submit a support request, as your original global administrator account is locked out due to issues with multi-factor authentication. The trial account is free for one month. Be sure to delete it after submitting your support request to avoid any automatic renewals or charges from Microsoft.      

    For further instructions, you can refer to the following Microsoft guides: 

    Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn.    

    Cancel your Microsoft business subscription in the Microsoft 365 admin center | Microsoft Learn 

    I hope this gives you another way to reach the appropriate support team. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.