How to Reset MFA, I lost Reset my Phone

Ariful Haque 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T05:44:55.95+00:00

I am unable to access my Microsoft 365 account because my mobile phone was reset, and I no longer have access to the Microsoft Authenticator app that was previously configured for my account.

Account Email: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]@g.bracu.ac.bd
My mobile phone was reset, and the Microsoft Authenticator app data was lost.

  1. I still know my account password and can enter it successfully.
  2. After entering my password, I receive the following message: Let's keep your account secure We'll help you set up another way to verify it's you.
  3. When I click Next, the system asks me to: Enter the code displayed in the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device.
  4. Since my phone was reset, I no longer have access to the Microsoft Authenticator app and cannot obtain the verification code.
  5. I then click: Having trouble? Sign in another way
  6. The available options shown are: Approve a request on my Microsoft Authenticator app

or Use a verification code

Both options require access to the Microsoft Authenticator app, which is no longer available on my device. Therefore, I am completely unable to complete the Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) verification process, I could not connent to My university to ask help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. JeseminQH 925 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T06:37:10.6366667+00:00

    Hi @Ariful Haque

    Since this is a university-managed Microsoft 365 account, the MFA settings are managed by your university’s IT administrator. People in this forum cannot access the account or reset its authentication methods. 

    If your university account is currently unusable, use another support channel listed on the university’s official website. You may also ask a classmate, lecturer, or another member of the university to notify the IT help desk on your behalf. However, the IT team may still need to verify your identity directly before making any changes to the account. 

    Please ask your university’s IT team to review your registered authentication methods and either reset your MFA or require MFA re-registration. This should allow you to set up Microsoft Authenticator on your phone again.

    They can follow these steps:    

    1. Sign in to the entra.microsoft.com as at least Authentication Administrator.    
    2. Select User -> All user.   Select the user (your account) to act on and select Authentication methods. then select Require re-register of multi-factor authentication.     
    • Require re-register MFA: This disables all previous authentication methods. You'll then be prompted to configure a new MFA authentication method the next time you try to sign in, so you can set up from the start and add a new authenticator app.    
    • User's image

    For more details, please refer to: Manage user authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication.  

    Find Your Microsoft 365 Admin: If you're unsure who manages Microsoft 365 accounts for your school, please contact your school's IT Help Desk, Technology Support team, or Student Services office, you can find guidance on locating them here: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? 

    User's image

    Note: Once re-registration is triggered, all your existing MFA methods such as phone numbers, Authenticator app, or other verification options will be removed. You will need to set up new MFA methods during your next login. Please ensure you have access to a valid phone number or the Microsoft Authenticator app before attempting to sign in again.    

    Hopefully it will help work with your issue and if you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. 

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.