Microsoft disabling my Office 2019 software

Jeff Bryan 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T20:34:37.0466667+00:00

I purchased a HP Envy laptop in December 2019 and paid extra to have MS Office 2019 (standalone home and student version) preloaded on it. It has worked perfectly well these past years and now I am getting a popup notice that it will stop functioning for creating and editing files. I opted for the 2019 standalone version because I did not want to pay the subscription fee for or use the Office 365 version (because of reduced functionality). Can I keep using Office 2019 if I find my product key and enter that? If I can't find the product key (not sure if I ever had it since it came preloaded on the laptop) is there a way to pull that information out of the registry? I feel like my property (software license) is being stolen from me.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Xavier-D 13,745 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-01T01:07:51.8+00:00

    Hello Jeff Bryan,

    I can see that you are having issue with Office 2019

    Office Home & Student 2019 is a one-time purchase. Its support ended on October 14, 2025, but that alone should not stop a valid installation from creating or editing files.

    Please open Word and check File > Account to confirm the product name, activation status, and signed-in account.

    Then sign in to Microsoft account Services & subscriptions with the Microsoft account originally used to activate Office. If Office 2019 is listed, sign in to Office with that same account. You normally do not need the product key again after it has been redeemed.

    If you have an unused 25-character product key, you can redeem it through Office setup. I would not rely on the registry to recover the complete key.

    Since Office was preloaded by HP, also check your original receipt or order confirmation and contact HP if the licence is not listed in your Microsoft account.

    If possible, please share the exact wording of the notice and the product and activation information shown under File > Account, with your email address and product key hidden.

    Please note that Office 2019 has reached the end of its support lifecycle and is no longer supported by Microsoft on 14 October 2025. We recommend upgrading to a currently supported version of Office to continue receiving security updates and technical support. 

    Please feel free reply back to this post if you need further assistance, I'll be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.