I need live help. I've had it before, less than a year ago. I'll take live chat or phone. Right after I got my new laptop I started on the process below but stalled out. I had 2 live online chats and one by phone. The support rep on the phone even discovered a failure point in Windows 11 and completely reinstalled it, undoing a lot of the set-up I had done. Now, every time I work through the help process I hit a place that circles me back to start over. If they had a problem-solving matrix that actually led to a solution I would have found it by now and done it. I'm not lazy or intellectually challenged. Just a little older.
I bought the new laptop about a year ago because my old one wouldn't upgrade from Win10 to Win11. In the process of transferring my data I started by creating a second MS accounts because I'm slowly working my way out of the email address from my own business domain to a gmail address--all because I retired and I want to sell the domain. If I had waited until later in the process to establish the second account it would have worked better. Now I have tons of constraints "for privacy reasons" per Microsoft.
I decided to trust Microsoft OneDrive to handle moving everything between computers because I read it would be seamless and do everything. That was the worst idea. First, it took 3 days or more initially syncing my old computer to OneDrive. Then the problems dealing with 2 accounts hit. I've been working on this off and on the whole year, stuck using my old messed laptop. After long research and consideration of options, I decided to transfer all my data from old computer to new via direct Ethernet. That actually worked great. Then I started the sync process from new computer to new MS acct/OneDrive acct. That has been going 2 days and I'm seeing files appear (FileName-copy) duplicating every file.
When I go directly to the new computer's SSD and navigate to Documents it's empty. That's disturbing because I always have and still want my local drive to be my primary place to keep my data, using a local external drive for backup. In this changeover I decided to join this century and backup to a cloud too. Maybe everything can work out if I can figure out how to make my computer drive hold everything, delete over 45K "copy" files, make sure my new MS account has my files properly, delete my old MS account, and toss the old laptop out the window.
Many thanks in advance to all who take the time to read this and I'll come mow your yard if you help me solve this.
Eddie