OneDrive Error 0x8007017C after changing drive location .ini file

George Kontaroudis 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T20:14:10.0466667+00:00

I have changed the path name of my OneDrive so that it is the same across computers my modifying the address at the .ini file in this folder: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings

After restarting the computer, I'm getting the 0x8007017C error when I try to open some files, but not all and I can't figure out why.

I would appreciate the help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ian-T 13,100 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-01T01:08:35.72+00:00

    Hi @George Kontaroudis

    Editing the OneDrive .ini file is not a supported way to change the folder location and may have affected the sync configuration.

    Please first confirm that your files are available on OneDrive.com. Then unlink OneDrive from OneDrive Settings > Account > Unlink this PC, sign in again, and select Change location during setup. Choose the intended folder and allow OneDrive to resync. Microsoft recommends the unlink, move, and relink method when changing the OneDrive folder location.

    Also, please let us know whether error 0x8007017C affects all OneDrive files or only certain files.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.