Microsoft authenticator app

Julia Rockafellow 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T21:06:56.1233333+00:00

I have an old cellphone that has my app on it to get into my school account, the cellphone wont turn on and for some reason I cant get into my account at all because the code is on my old cellphone. I want it on my new cellphone so I dont have to go through this anymore.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-L 19,920 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-29T21:58:32.65+00:00

    Dear Julia,

    Being locked out of your school account with no way to reach the codes is understandably stressful. As a forum moderator, I genuinely wish I could directly reset the MFA method on your account for you. Unfortunately, my role here is limited to providing general guidance and steps you can apply from your side. Because your old phone will not turn on, you will not be able to fix this from your side. Adding a new verification method requires you to sign in first, and signing in requires the code from the old phone.

    One thing worth trying before anything else. At the verification screen, look for Sign in another way or I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now. If another method such as a text message or email was registered on your account, you can use that to get in, then add your new phone at https://aka.ms/mysecurityinfo.

    If no other method appears, please contact your school IT help desk and ask them to reset your MFA or security info. They can confirm your identity and clear the old registration, after which you will be prompted to set up the Authenticator app again on your new phone the next time you sign in. If you don't know who your IT administrator is, please refer to this article: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support 

    Once you are back in, it is worth adding a second verification method such as a phone number or an alternate email, so you are not locked out again if you change phones.

    I hope this helps. Looking forward to your reply.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".  

    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.