Profile has vanished and been replaced for Microsoft Edge

Lance Manley 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T20:03:03.12+00:00

I don't know what happened but when I tried to login for profile on Edge it created an entierly new profile with my old account (that I've logged in with for years) and I have lost all my bookmarks, history and shortcuts.

I assume I have made a mistake when logging in, by thinking I was logging in to the old established account when it was asking me for a new one.

Is there any way to get the old one back. I have tried deleting the profiles but nothing has resulted from this?

Microsoft Edge | Profile, sync, and sign in | Windows 11
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Emma1-N 13,320 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-30T02:56:26.57+00:00

    Welcome Lance Manley,

    I'm sorry you're dealing with this. If Edge suddenly created a new profile, it may have signed you into a different Edge profile or started using a new local profile while the original profile data still exists on the PC.

    Before suggesting more advanced recovery steps, could you confirm:

    • When you open Edge and go to Settings > Profiles, do you see only the new profile, or are there multiple profiles listed?
    • Was Sync previously enabled on the old profile?
    • Are your bookmarks also missing when you sign in at Favorites > Sync with the same Microsoft account?

    In the meantime, please try these quick checks:

    1. Open Edge and enter: edge://settings/profiles Check whether another profile is listed and switch to it if available.
    2. Enter: edge://version Note the Profile path shown there. Then open File Explorer and browse to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User`` ``Data Look for folders such as Default, Profile 1, Profile 2, etc. If you see multiple profile folders, your previous profile data may still be present.
    3. Go to Settings > Profiles > Sync and verify that you are signed in with the exact Microsoft account that was previously used for Edge Sync.
    4. If your favorites were synced, check whether they reappear after selecting Sync > Turn on sync and waiting a few minutes.

    Looking forward to your update.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.