Product update #KB5002907, deleting my Microsoft Office Product Key

Tony Torres 5 Reputation points
2026-09-28T14:43:16.3266667+00:00

I purchase Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 & Product Key thru my Military/DOD Home Use Program during my service in the US Army & DOD. Now, my WORD, PP, and Excel do not open, I been told it's because of a product update KB5002907. When I purchased this Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 & Product Key thru my Military/DOD Home Use Program. Military Home Use Program indicated that this was FOREVER! I do have another order that I made for my other home computer in June 30, 2010, which Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 & Product Key also purchase thru Military/DOD Home Use Program Now, if updates have stop to this product, I feel that Microsoft would have send out a blanket EMAIL indicating that better then just deleting the Product Key that was purchased thru the Military/DOD Home Use Program , offer by Microsoft Sales, which they indicated that this was FOREVER! I do not have an original disk from Microsoft Sales. The product was downloaded only and didn't buy a disk like before in 2010; was given a product key thru email from Microsoft Sale. My final question now is does Microsoft would offer a Office Professional Plus 2016 & Product Key, since the product key was deleted from my system by KB5002907?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. lmacri 2,505 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T22:03:57.08+00:00

    I purchase Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 & Product Key thru my Military/DOD Home Use Program during my service in the US Army & DOD. Now, my WORD, PP, and Excel do not open, I been told it's because of a product update KB5002907...

    Hi Tony Torres:

    You might find some helpful suggestions in the 28-Sep-2026 Your Windows Guide article Office 2019 Deactivated After Windows Update: How to Fix Unlicensed Product Error. Information in that article applies to both MS Office 2016 and 2019.

    As noted in that article, the problematic KB5002907 update should appear as “Click-to-Run Update Support” in your Windows Update history if it was installed by a recent Windows Update. From the Windows Update history on my Win 10 Pro v22H2 ESU laptop:

    Win 10 Pro v22H2 Windows Update History Quality Updates Click-to-Run Update Support 24 Sep 2026

    Once my damaged MS Office 2019 C2R product was automatically fixed by a repair reinstall I launched Word (any Office program like Excel, Outlook, etc. would have worked) and clicked the "Get Started" button to sync to my Microsoft Account and reactivate my MS Office 2019 license.

    3 - Word 2019 Launch After Reinstall Reactivate Office Prompt Small 24 Sep 2026

    If you log in to your Microsoft Account at https://account.microsoft.com and go to Subscriptions is your MS Office 2016 Pro Plus product listed there? If so see the MS support article Download and install or reinstall Office 2021, Office 2019, or Office 2016 for instructions on how to reinstall and/or reactivate your MS Office product. From my own Microsoft Account:

    Microsoft Account Subscriptions Tab MS Office 2019 Install Link 28 Aug 2026


    IMPORTANT:

    Just FYI, several years ago I legally purchased Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 at a deep discount under the Microsoft Home User Program (HUP – now called Microsoft Work Discount Program) through a previous employer, but I could not use the product key after I left their employment because the product key was registered under my work email address and that email address was inactivated after I moved to a new employer. I opened a case with Microsoft Support and gave them my order confirmation number but they were adamant that the product key was only valid as long I worked for the same employer who offered me the MS HUP discount.

    I purchased a retail version of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R from Best Buy (Canada) in 2019 and the Subscription tab of my Microsoft Account no longer displays a product key like it used to (see the last image above). If I want to reinstall MS Office 2019 my understanding is that I would use the Install button on that Subscription tab, and once Office is reinstalled all I would have to do is launch an Office program like Word, Excel, etc. while connected to the internet and the reinstalled Office suite should be automatically activated without having to enter a product key (assuming my product key was still “legitimate”).


    Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 ESU Build 19045.7725 * Firefox v156.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.26080.4-1.1.26080.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.7.1.346-165.0.5751 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R Version 2508 / Build 19127.20800

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Tony Torres 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T15:46:02.96+00:00

    Thanks. However, this is what I got as follows when I added what you indicate:

    C:\Users\Tony>cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus

    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 10.0

    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Abinesh Magudeeswaran 230 Reputation points Student Ambassador
    2026-09-28T15:06:56.8233333+00:00

    Hello Tony,

    I understand the concern, especially since this was an Office Professional Plus 2016 purchase through the Microsoft Home Use Program (now called the Workplace Discount Program).

    At this point, I would not conclude that KB5002907 permanently deleted or cancelled your Office license. There are recent Microsoft Q&A reports describing Office 2016/2019 activation problems after KB5002907, but those reports do not by themselves establish that the update invalidates legitimate perpetual licenses.

    Office Professional Plus 2016 obtained through the Workplace Discount Program has a different activation/reinstallation process from a normal retail Office purchase. Microsoft states that customers who purchased Professional Plus through this program can retrieve the product key from the Workplace Discount Program Order History using the work email associated with the purchase.

    I recommend checking this first:

    Go to the Microsoft Workplace Discount Program Order History and sign in using the work email associated with the original purchase.

    Check whether the Office Professional Plus 2016 order and product key are still available.

    If the key is available, use the Workplace Discount Program installation procedure to reinstall/activate Office.

    If the key is not available or is rejected, contact Microsoft Support with the original order information and proof of purchase.

    Microsoft also provides OSPP.VBS /dstatus for Office 2016 to identify the last five characters of the product key currently installed on the computer:

    cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus
    

    The command can help determine whether the Office installation still has a license/key registered locally.

    One important point: Office 2016 reaching end of support does not by itself mean that an existing perpetual license becomes invalid. Microsoft continues to document installation and reinstallation procedures for Office 2016.

    If the original Workplace Discount Program order and product key can no longer be retrieved, I would escalate that specifically as a Workplace Discount Program purchase/license recovery issue, rather than purchasing another Office license immediately.

    Also, avoid posting the full product key publicly. If Microsoft Support requests it, provide it through the private support channel.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.