How to get autheticator messages. Feels like bs app

Ace King 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T09:19:47.22+00:00

I need to get a message with code so I can connect with my student email. Had a message thing on my old phone now I cannot do it on new one it says "It already linked on another device" I deleted it on my old phone and now it says "Messages linked in another program for this device" SO HOW can I GET messages with CODE to connect with my email? IF I want to do something I have to GET A CODE but I CANNOT do THAT cuz I CANT get a CODE on NEW phone.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Vincent Choy 11,265 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-29T03:37:29.9866667+00:00

    This is your school requiring you to authenticate twice, once from your login ID, the second, using your phone, in order to use the services it licenses from Microsoft. This is for yours and their protection so its a lot harder to hack your account.

    Just reach out to the school administrator to reset your account. Let them know you have a new phone and you need to pair authenticator with your new phone.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. BabybooHN 3,290 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-28T15:17:55.81+00:00

    Dear @Ace King

    I understand the issue. The important point is that Microsoft Authenticator does not send you a separate SMS/message containing a code. If your school account is still registered to the old device, installing Authenticator on the new phone does not automatically transfer that registration.

    If you can still sign in to your school account using another method:

    1. Go to Security info
    2. Select + Add sign-in method > Microsoft Authenticator.
    3. Follow the prompts and scan the QR code with Authenticator on your new phone.
    4. Once the new phone works, remove the old Authenticator registration.

    Microsoft documents this process here: How to add your accounts to Microsoft Authenticator

    If you cannot sign in because Authenticator is the only verification method, you cannot generate the required verification code from the new phone by itself. Because this is a school account, you will need to contact your school’s IT/help desk or Microsoft 365 administrator and ask them to reset/re-register your MFA (Authenticator) method. They can then allow you to register the new phone.

    If you still have the old phone and it is usable, don’t delete the old Authenticator registration until the new one has been successfully registered. Microsoft also recommends completing the transfer before removing the old device. Please refer to this document: Transfer Microsoft Authenticator account entries to a new phone

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. AI answer

    2026-09-28T09:20:06.85+00:00

    For a work or school account, the fastest path is:

    1. On the sign-in screen, select Sign in another way or I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now.
    2. If available, use another method such as text message, phone call, or email.
    3. If no other method is available, sign in to your Security info page and select Update info. Choose a method that works, or choose I don't have any of these to replace your security info.
    4. If the old phone is lost, removed, or no longer receives prompts, contact the organization Help desk / school IT admin and ask them to clear or reset MFA settings. After that, the next sign-in will prompt re-registration on the new phone.

    If the notification is still going to the old phone, that usually means the Authenticator app was last active there. If the old phone is still accessible, approve the sign-in on the old device once, then remove the old device and add the new phone.

    To add the new phone for MFA:

    1. Go to the Additional security verification page or the Security info page.
    2. Remove the old phone entry.
    3. Select Add sign-in method.
    4. Choose Phone or set up Microsoft Authenticator again.
    5. If setting up Authenticator, scan the QR code and approve the test notification.

    If SMS codes are not arriving, common causes include:

    • too many repeated code requests causing a temporary block
    • phone settings blocking texts from unknown numbers
    • full message inbox or messaging app issues
    • using a VOIP number instead of a mobile number
    • regional SMS delivery limitations

    For a personal Microsoft account, sign in to Security at https://account.microsoft.com/security, select Manage how I sign in, then Add a new way to sign in or verify. Note that adding a new phone number may not be available for some personal accounts because Microsoft is phasing out SMS for personal account authentication and recovery.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.